Re: Nascar 550 hp limit ??

Post by tjs44 »

Gen 9 car coming,maybe front wheel drive V6!Tom
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

tjs44 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:59 pm Gen 9 car coming,maybe front wheel drive V6!Tom
Then you don't have to let off!!! Just hope you have the power to PULL through the corners. HAHA
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

35,000 in attendance at Fontana! Why even come to California. I would bet putting on the track event with rent was way greater than the gate! SAD! :roll:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:32 pm David

Just do a cross section study on the average Nascar fan and you will answer your "WHY NOT".
And just when did NASCAR fans, become either smarter or dumber? We have always had both types.
The more things change, the more things stay the same.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

I remember when the Cup drivers were older than the pit crew!
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Tony Stewart just went off on the Nascar environment and I think a lot of what he is saying has merit. Heck, no one in Nascar had a more explosive personality on or off the track than Tony! He, other greats like Dale Earnhardt and great others in the past gave Nascar that persona that was hard to ignore and endeared a lot of fans! It'd all about excitement in the personalities and competitions that drew fans and support. Not the friggin rule book!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Post by BirdMan »

I would imagine teams could figure out what heavy duty parts are needed to make 550/600 hp long term. There might have to be stronger parts of course but that is what has happened to get them to current levels??? Maybe bodies looking more like street cars? One other boring NASCAR thing is chattering by the commentators and those Stupid Questions...
Dale C.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Penski wants NASCAR to require engines to be used for at least 4-5 races.Now they have to be used for 2.There is virtually no engine carnage anymore even at the 750HP level.The cost of R&D is killing the owners.Just to show how competitive it gets,last week at Fontana the 3rd of Q had the 12 cars sitting on pit lane as the drivers figured out that if they get in a draft they are faster.NO ONE wanted to be first so ALL 12 did not get their lap started in time.Last week was the first race I missed since the track opened and would have been pissed if I went out to watch Q and got cheated out of some drama!Has been proven time and time again the drivers only care about themselves and IMO that goes for ANY type of autoracing,the fans be damned!Tom
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Would it be better to have cars with different performance potentials with similar drivers, or better to have identical cars with various skill level drivers?

In the first case we could expect to see some innovation and technical advances by the mfgs.
In the second case we could expect to see stagnation and incremental changes that are imperceptible.

Personally, I would prefer engines of various sizes and states of tune, along with variations in
suspensions and aerodynamics. That would make for on-track speed differentials, much more
green flag passing and racing excitement without resorting to crashes for excitement.

I would also like to see Honda, Kia, VW, MB, Mazda, Hyundai enter the fray.

I'm tired of watching grass grow.
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

englertracing wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:39 pm Just turn the TV off, and go to your local asphalt or dirt track and watch some asphalt late or super late models, or if your lucky modifieds and super modifieds. Or if its the dirt variety some super streets and late models, or some wing or non wing sprint cars.
your bound to see some 100x better racing.
englertracing wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:39 pm You get to see the entire track in most cases and you can even go talk to the drivers.
BINGO ! Get off the couch, shut the boob tube off and support your local track and drivers. Same idea for local baseball, football, basketball etc.
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

David,do you actually watch any races?Except for the super speedways the issue is TOO many green flag laps.The excitement is really on the 3-4-5 wide restarts!Clean air is still king but not as much as last year.AND the fast cars will always be the fast cars.The chevys are fast this year but dont race fast except for a couple.Gibbs and Penski have it together so far this year.This week is a short track race so you dirt and short track guys should get what your looking for,some beating and banging.Tom
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

AND you get your 750 HP back!Tom
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

I've DVR'd the last few races and watched the complete race like I used to. The television broadcast needs help. They are no Ned, Benny and Bob but at least Gordon is fresh and can relate to what's going on in the car.

Why do they need to drive around wide open? That's not racing. I'll say it again. Control the corner speed via the tires and lack of aero aids. Give them enough to drive half way decent around each other. Make them have to lift into the corner. The better drivers and handling cars will drive deeper into the corner anyway. Slow the corner speed so they have to use 900HP to get to 180mph on the straights then lift for the next corner.

The race length is too long. No one in their right mind is sitting in front of the TV for 3-4 hours a stretch on a Sunday. People can't even look up from their phones and need instant gratification. I'm thinking heat races. On Saturday night. With a dirt race thrown in there. More road courses. A street course.

Change the point system so everything you did that year matters. Not the last 10 races. More points for leading. More points for most laps led. Points for not crying a lap car is in your way.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

with 900 HP they will go 230 on the straights.At Fontana last year with 750 they were 210-212 going into turn one.The races are too long.There has been some talk about a timed race like the 12 hour and 24 hour race.3 hour and it over.Fontana for me is great,tires wear out fast,the bumps around turn 3 are nasty,the seams are nasty if they get on them.The drivers had their hands full last sunday.The 18 car had them covered,no contest.Tom