Flowmaster Outlaw muffler - anti-reversion?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
Re: Flowmaster Outlaw muffler - anti-reversion?

Post by BradH »

BradH wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:40 am
midnightbluS10 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:02 am Would it be somewhat similar to the mufflers with the discs that you load and unload to adjust the sound, etc? I can't recall the name, even though it's on the tip of my tongue.

Edit: Supertrapps? Didn't know they bought out Jardine Performance Products in '12.
No, a different design than Super Trapp. I'll post a pic I found of the style I'm asking about later for those who aren't familiar with it.
Pic of long version cut-away showing "attenuation rings", and short version (available in both 3.5" and 3.0" ID) that I was wondering about using.
Flowmaster Outlaw cut-away_long.jpg
Flowmaster Outlaw 3.0 short.jpg
Don't know for sure, but I'd guess-timate the shorter case would only have 3 rings at most.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

What is the flow direction?
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
Blog: www.exhausting101.com
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

As shown in the cut-away image, from top to bottom (flow goes w/ the angle of the fins/rings, not against).
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Interesting.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

BradH wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:17 pm As shown in the cut-away image, from top to bottom (flow goes w/ the angle of the fins/rings, not against).
I think that is pretty cool. Never seen that. I would definitely say that is a AR device.
Ho well does it knock down noise?
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Flowmaster makes no db reduction claims... says it's an option for tracks or classes that "need a muffler, but don't have db limits". Could just as well be an empty coffee can, except somebody decided to put those curved-back discs in there for whatever reason.

If I incorporate them into my street/strip car system, I'd have no expectations at all it would tone down the noise.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

BradH wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:35 am My application has 2" x 3.5" headers that connect to a 3" X-pipe about 20" after the collector flange. It has full-length tailpipes and Dynomax Utra Flo mufflers in the typical before-the-axle location.
FWIW, here are pics of the 3.5"-to-3.0" adapters that feed into the 3.0" X-pipe...
TTI 3-inch X-pipe 2.jpg
... and one on the side to see the straight section where I was wondering if the short version of those "mufflers" might go...
TTI 3-inch X-pipe 3.jpg
... and the X-pipe junction leading to the tailpipes.
TTI 3-inch X-pipe 1.jpg
I also saw on another thread where you mentioned using AR mufflers after the X-pipe. I suppose that could also be an option... ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

BradH wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:55 pm
BradH wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:35 am My application has 2" x 3.5" headers that connect to a 3" X-pipe about 20" after the collector flange. It has full-length tailpipes and Dynomax Utra Flo mufflers in the typical before-the-axle location.
FWIW, here are pics of the 3.5"-to-3.0" adapters that feed into the 3.0" X-pipe...

TTI 3-inch X-pipe 2.jpg

... and one on the side to see the straight section where I was wondering if the short version of those "mufflers" might go...

TTI 3-inch X-pipe 3.jpg

... and the X-pipe junction leading to the tailpipes.

TTI 3-inch X-pipe 1.jpg

I also saw on another thread where you mentioned using AR mufflers after the X-pipe. I suppose that could also be an option... ?
Yeah, go ahead and stick them in there right after the reducer.
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

When racing in a class that requires small headers to limit power, would anti reversion devises be of any benefit?
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

RCJ wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:09 am When racing in a class that requires small headers to limit power, would anti reversion devises be of any benefit?
Recently posted some thoughts on Speed talk.
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

exhausted wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:35 pm Yeah, go ahead and stick them in there right after the reducer.
From what I've described, would you recommend that I stay with the 3.5"-to-3.0" reducer and use the 3" ID unit, or change to a straight 3.5" collector adapter w/ the 3.5" version and then drop it down to 3" after that?

BTW, thanks for your input on this. :notworthy:
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

BradH wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:08 am
exhausted wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:35 pm Yeah, go ahead and stick them in there right after the reducer.
From what I've described, would you recommend that I stay with the 3.5"-to-3.0" reducer and use the 3" ID unit, or change to a straight 3.5" collector adapter w/ the 3.5" version and then drop it down to 3" after that?

BTW, thanks for your input on this. :notworthy:
Get a smaller collector and stay at 3.0"
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

BradH wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:54 am Pic of long version cut-away showing "attenuation rings", and short version (available in both 3.5" and 3.0" ID) that I was wondering about using.

Flowmaster Outlaw cut-away_long.jpg

Flowmaster Outlaw 3.0 short.jpg

Don't know for sure, but I'd guess-timate the shorter case would only have 3 rings at most.
We tested a lot of mufflers - The Outlaws made the most power.

Ed

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Hey Ed, it's been a while; good to know you're still/again with us! :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hi Ed, did you guys do any db testing?
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl