Cam Specs - and other

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Cam Specs - and other

Post by CamKing »

Stan Weiss wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:04 am 132 was only for BBC. 128 was only for SBC and I believe 127 for SBF.
142 is for 409 Chevies, with black painted blocks, rusty exhaust manifolds, and fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

CamKing wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:58 am
Stan Weiss wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:04 am 132 was only for BBC. 128 was only for SBC and I believe 127 for SBF.
142 is for 409 Chevies, with black painted blocks, rusty exhaust manifolds, and fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike,
I think that you have way overcompensated for the fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror. :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way how did you know that I paint all of my engines black? :roll:

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Stan Weiss wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:55 pm
CamKing wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:58 am
Mike,
I think that you have way overcompensated for the fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror. :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way how did you know that I paint all of my engines black? :roll:

Stan
Yea, I should have adjusted by the square root of the fuzzy dice, not the square.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Given its shape, I'm pretty sure it should be the cube root of the die. :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Mechcanic

Post by Mechcanic »

Can you still buy fuzzy dice? :)
A tool that is in use, if dropped, will fall to a place directly proportional to the length of your arm plus 8 inches. :-D
Mechcanic

Post by Mechcanic »

In-Tech wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:57 am Yeah, Whip has a dual injector(16) intercooled manifold with different variety height intercooler cores. I thought I had a pic of one on this puter but guess not. I'll post one next week with dimensions. Thanks for the compliments. I was poking a little fun about buying the book as if I don't have any experience with BBC. If I only learn one thing, any book is well worth the money plus it's nice to see others views on things.

It's pretty amazing how well the TBI type Whip blower manifold works without individual cylinder trim. You can see by the pics that there is a wide band on each port. The standard firing order cam has really poor cylinder distribution at light throttle(pre boost), as much as 4 AFR between cylinders, the LS firing order gets it ~1.5 AFR between cylinders and again, either firing order pretty much straightens out the AFR between cylinders after 1 psi of boost even though it screws to the front. The intercooler core only being a half inch off the floor aids in all of that.
I am going to have to do more digging. BBC seems to be left out of the magnuson and whipple superchargers. Whipple actually had a vortech system some time ago, but its no longer made. Only seen one system ebay and it was already sold. Look forward to the picture.

Surprised at the AFR spread, would anyone suggest a modified firing order over the standard BBC in an unboosted setup?
A tool that is in use, if dropped, will fall to a place directly proportional to the length of your arm plus 8 inches. :-D
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Did you ever hear from DV on this?
Mechcanic

Post by Mechcanic »

RevTheory wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:11 am Did you ever hear from DV on this?
Not yet. I’m waiting and patient. I like the other comments and really appreciate everyone’s input. I know he is busy and am very pleased that he took the time to comment and offer help. If anyone wants to chime in by all means please do.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Mechanic, here are the manifold pics for the port EFI BBC. Manifold/blower/intercooler stands a shade under 14" tall measured at the china wall. It uses the short injectors, basically has a 6/71 bolt pattern on top and then an adaptor for whatever screw blower from there. I forgot to take a pic of the intercooler core but will next week. The quad rotor in the earlier pics has this manifold on it with ID1300 shorty injectors.
BBC_1.jpg
BBC_2.jpg
BBC_3.jpg
The quad rotor posted earlier in the thread made 1428hp on 91 octane when we quit today for the weekend. Holley HP efi.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Mechcanic

Post by Mechcanic »

In-Tech wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:30 am Mechanic, here are the manifold pics for the port EFI BBC. Manifold/blower/intercooler stands a shade under 14" tall measured at the china wall. It uses the short injectors, basically has a 6/71 bolt pattern on top and then an adaptor for whatever screw blower from there. I forgot to take a pic of the intercooler core but will next week. The quad rotor in the earlier pics has this manifold on it with ID1300 shorty injectors.

The quad rotor posted earlier in the thread made 1428hp on 91 octane when we quit today for the weekend. Holley HP efi.
Hi In-tech,
Thanks for the pictures, very nice work. Who did the casting? I can make any adapter but do not want to fab the entire manifold. Been watching OEM gt500 blowers on ebay which can be obtained for low $$. Still undecided on supercharging as I am hoping to keep it NA. The intercooler pic would be appreciated so please attach them.

DV has not replied as yet. I actually contacted Compcams with all my proposed specs as well - no reply. Thought it would be interesting to compare cam recommendations while I was waiting. Probably going to call around and formally ask via telephone (comp and crane). If anyone would care to comment, I was thinking crane and comp cams since DV uses them almost exclusively in the builds in his book. Mike - I have not forgotten your recommendation and will be my first choice once I nail down the fuzzy component selection so I will have exact specifics.

I am still trying to gather info on the vortech 7400 EFI and if it is worth tinkering with. Since I have the entire set-up the port sizes seem large enough. The only real struggle I see is the throttle body at 75mm. Trying to find a 90mm. I have not committed to doing anything with it as a complete replacement seems the best course of action. Would still like the remaining specs on the EFI build seven from DV's book. Its pretty complete from the book but pieces are missing.

So I found this info on the internet regarding throttle body flow rates...does anyone disagree with the numbers?
From accufab - LS specs stock Vortech 7400 is 75mm (I think)
Stock – 798cfm
75mm – 920cfm
90mm – 1369cfm

Given most of what I read shows carbs below 1200cfm does a throttle body need more air flow equivalent?
DSRE388

Post by DSRE388 »

I guess i just don't understand this 128 deal, yeah i understand the math and i have read about it but LSA is just the measurement of distance between intake and exhaust lobe center lines.
You can have the same LSA on a bunch different camshafts and have different valve events for every one of them.
So wouldn't you want to be more concerned with getting the correct valve timing events for the engine you are designing and whatever the lsa is it is?
What am i missing here?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

DSRE388 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:09 am I guess i just don't understand this 128 deal, yeah i understand the math and i have read about it but LSA is just the measurement of distance between intake and exhaust lobe center lines.
You can have the same LSA on a bunch different camshafts and have different valve events for every one of them.
So wouldn't you want to be more concerned with getting the correct valve timing events for the engine you are designing and whatever the lsa is it is?
What am i missing here?
It is a way of getting the 4 events using LSA and Overlap. Sort of.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Let's look at an example. Lets use a cam with the same intake and exhaust duration. We have LSA = 108 and overlap = 64. Then the intake and exhaust duration has to be 280 degrees.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
DSRE388

Post by DSRE388 »

I see, i wasn't looking at one of the key aspects close enough, sorry for the high Jack
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Stan Weiss wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:34 am Let's look at an example. Lets use a cam with the same intake and exhaust duration. We have LSA = 108 and overlap = 64. Then the intake and exhaust duration has to be 280 degrees.

Stan
Technically, half of overlap plus LSA times 2. :)
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!