General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Cam Specs - and other

Post by MadBill »

Mechcanic wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:59 pm
Thanks again David. Other mentioned a second bbc book you wrote. What is the title?
To save DV some time, this is his new BBC book: https://www.amazon.com/Chevy-Big-Blocks ... 1613251629
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Ah Yatahey, I went ahead and ordered it. Thanks Bill :)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Although this is on the pump now, endurance marine dealio should be ~1300hp on 91 octane but books are always good. :mrgreen:

If you click on the pics they turn right side up. :?
8L_A.jpg
8L_B.jpg
8L_C.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by In-Tech on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Carl
Mechcanic

Post by Mechcanic »

MadBill wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:56 pm
Mechcanic wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:59 pm
Thanks again David. Other mentioned a second bbc book you wrote. What is the title?
To save DV some time, this is his new BBC book: https://www.amazon.com/Chevy-Big-Blocks ... 1613251629
Hi Bill,
That is the book I had, so I searched David's name...omg, he wrote a lot of books. I could not find another specific to the BBC, so if you know the name by all means please forward and thanks!
A tool that is in use, if dropped, will fall to a place directly proportional to the length of your arm plus 8 inches. :-D
Mechcanic

Post by Mechcanic »

In-Tech wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:27 pm Ah Yatahey, I went ahead and ordered it. Thanks Bill :)
Hey Carl, you will enjoy the read. I probably reread it a couple of times for the details. A lot of good info. Kinda where I started other than buying the car and engine to rebuild.
A tool that is in use, if dropped, will fall to a place directly proportional to the length of your arm plus 8 inches. :-D
Mechcanic

Post by Mechcanic »

In-Tech wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:40 pm Although this is on the pump now, endurance marine dealio should be ~1300hp on 91 ocatane but books are always good. :mrgreen:

If you click on the pics they turn right side up. :?
Carl that is one sweet looking motor. Is it for a marine application? I would not mind putting a supercharger on, but hesitate cutting the hood and keeping my budget on track. Very nice and thanks for the share.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Yes, marine engine. Here's is a pic of a front feed hemi 2.9L kit. It's very low profile and you could do something like that for under the hood on a BBC, with efi it is shorter than a carb, also added some other pics. The name of the pics are what they are. I know off topic but thought I'd show off some projects. :)

Hemi 2.9L and BBC TBI Tunnel ram vvvvvvvvvvv
Hemi_2_9L_BBC_TBI.jpg
416 cu in LS with 4L vvvvvvvvvv
416_4L.jpg
461 c in LS with 4.5 L vvvvvvvvvv
461_4_5L.jpg
2.3L Ls truck kit vvvvvvvvvvvv
2_3L_Truck.jpg
Dual 3.3L Quad rotor vvvvvvvvvvv
Quad.jpg
Or you could go original old school and cut the hood. :mrgreen:
Roots.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Carl
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Question about "132 for BBC"....

Does the 0.91 correction factor still apply? I assume this is for production BBC heads?

132 - ((ci/8/int valve dia) * 0.91) = LSA
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Cam# BBC, HR75375-78360-112
241/251 @.050"
.375"/.360" Lobe Lift
112 LSA
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Mechcanic

Post by Mechcanic »

novadude wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:49 am Question about "132 for BBC"....

Does the 0.91 correction factor still apply? I assume this is for production BBC heads?

From the thread "128 cam spec revealed" (link above) the only change regardless of MFG was just the 132. Its a good read if you have not read through it. The 132 comes from the canted valve design over the "128" for SBC heads. Others have more information than I, so they pipe in, just an FYI it is only intended to spec the LSA.
Mechcanic

Post by Mechcanic »

CamKing wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:26 am Cam# BBC, HR75375-78360-112
241/251 @.050"
.375"/.360" Lobe Lift
112 LSA
Hi Mike,.
Thanks, the LSA seems high compared to DV math. But I am a novice so I appreciate the advice/spec.

So a question that I would really like to learn more about is the cam angle setting. Straight up? Advance? Retard? Was hoping to read the post on that. I searched but could not it elsewhere. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Paul
Mechcanic

Post by Mechcanic »

In-Tech wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 am Yes, marine engine. Here's is a pic of a front feed hemi 2.9L kit. It's very low profile and you could do something like that for under the hood on a BBC, with efi it is shorter than a carb, also added some other pics. The name of the pics are what they are. I know off topic but thought I'd show off some projects. :)

Hemi 2.9L and BBC TBI Tunnel ram vvvvvvvvvvv
Hemi_2_9L_BBC_TBI.jpg

416 cu in LS with 4L vvvvvvvvvv

416_4L.jpg

461 c in LS with 4.5 L vvvvvvvvvv

461_4_5L.jpg

2.3L Ls truck kit vvvvvvvvvvvv

2_3L_Truck.jpg

Dual 3.3L Quad rotor vvvvvvvvvvv
Quad.jpg

Or you could go original old school and cut the hood. :mrgreen:

Roots.jpg
Carl, those are some nice looking engines, really appreciate the nice work. It raised a question for me. Does whipple make a intake set-up sans inter-cooler for a BBC? I looked, never found one. I really like the look of the LS design and would like that on a BBC with a port injection intake.

The old school look is so nice. I just don't think I'd like looking at it while driving measured it up and its going to pop out pretty high. :shock:
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Yeah, Whip has a dual injector(16) intercooled manifold with different variety height intercooler cores. I thought I had a pic of one on this puter but guess not. I'll post one next week with dimensions. Thanks for the compliments. I was poking a little fun about buying the book as if I don't have any experience with BBC. If I only learn one thing, any book is well worth the money plus it's nice to see others views on things.

It's pretty amazing how well the TBI type Whip blower manifold works without individual cylinder trim. You can see by the pics that there is a wide band on each port. The standard firing order cam has really poor cylinder distribution at light throttle(pre boost), as much as 4 AFR between cylinders, the LS firing order gets it ~1.5 AFR between cylinders and again, either firing order pretty much straightens out the AFR between cylinders after 1 psi of boost even though it screws to the front. The intercooler core only being a half inch off the floor aids in all of that.
-Carl
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Mechcanic wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:33 am
CamKing wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:26 am Cam# BBC, HR75375-78360-112
241/251 @.050"
.375"/.360" Lobe Lift
112 LSA
Hi Mike,.
Thanks, the LSA seems high compared to DV math. But I am a novice so I appreciate the advice/spec.

So a question that I would really like to learn more about is the cam angle setting. Straight up? Advance? Retard? Was hoping to read the post on that. I searched but could not it elsewhere. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Paul
I would install it on a 108 Intake Centerline.

I widened the LSA to extend the top-end power, and increase vacuum. It will cost a little peak torque, but with a 4.25" stroke, torque won't be an issue.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Mechcanic wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:28 am
novadude wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:49 am Question about "132 for BBC"....

From the thread "128 cam spec revealed" (link above) the only change regardless of MFG was just the 132. Its a good read if you have not read through it. The 132 comes from the canted valve design over the "128" for SBC heads. Others have more information than I, so they pipe in, just an FYI it is only intended to spec the LSA.
Not sure where this came from. 132 was only for BBC. 128 was only for SBC and I believe 127 for SBF. The way I read it no other makes were implied.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV