EJ25 broken ring land

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

modok
Guru
Guru
Re: EJ25 broken ring land

Post by modok »

The 2.0 and 2.2 subaru bottom ends I have seen just appear to hold up a LOT better.
The additional cylinder thickness, more metal holding it together.

JUST REMEMBERED My brother told me, some of them, advance the timing a few degrees for only the cylinder next to the knock sensor.
is that #4? i don't even know.

When he told me that, I wondered if they took into account the exhaust system being asymmetrical, and I wonder, they might have, but then again the might not have.
The cylinders with the shortest primary???? maybe, probably suffer worse, more exhaust residuals=more heat=knock!
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Re: EJ25 broken ring land

Post by n2xlr8n »

modok wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:12 am The 2.0 and 2.2 subaru bottom ends I have seen just appear to hold up a LOT better.
The additional cylinder thickness, more metal holding it together.

JUST REMEMBERED My brother told me, some of them, advance the timing a few degrees for only the cylinder next to the knock sensor.
is that #4? i don't even know.

When he told me that, I wondered if they took into account the exhaust system being asymmetrical, and I wonder, they might have, but then again the might not have.
The cylinders with the shortest primary???? maybe, probably suffer worse, more exhaust residuals=more heat=knock!
I agree. I'm reasonably aware of the stock ECU code from 2002-2008. They didn't- one of the reasons why one of the first mods is to dump the stock up pipe / bypass the EGT sensor and put equal length headers on, then modify the timing table. IIRC, the stock knock sensor is smack in the middle, on top towards the pass side.

Over the years, there have been numerous methods and anecdotal approaches to solving the EJ issues. Larger clearances, Fuel rails, up pipe, better PCV, E-85 tunes, etc. Most expensive engines I've ever built (relative to CI) for power because of the issues listed.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.