MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: 383 sbc build

Post by MadBill » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:38 pm

In some engines the main webs are so thin that
Block.JPG
two extra threaded holes make the assembly weaker... :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Four bolt mains versus 2 bolt mains wont necessarily solve block failure issues. The example above of a 4 bolt block cracking at the main cap pad shows that magging a block and sonic testing for thin areas as Blockman reminded should always be done on any donor or replacement block! "Leave no doubt, check it out"! :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:17 pm

If you build the motor with the correct compression ratio for the fuel used, you won't have trouble with a 2 bolt main block. Detonation is what kills the mains and crank too. If you'll be using crap gas build with less cr.

DSRE388

Post by DSRE388 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 pm

I have built a few 2 bolt 1 piece rms blocks with studs up to 514hp 502tq at 383-388cid and been lucky i guess!
Street strip deals making peak power around 5800-6100rpm
These were budget engines and i never recommend doing this now especially with Dart SHP blocks being affordable its a much better way to go for just a little more money and if you can't do that you can do a 2 bolt block with splayed center caps for extra strength.
Imho RPM and rotating/reciprocating weight and detonation are what kills most bottom ends and blocks like others have said

mtmvette

Post by mtmvette » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:48 am

If you want to keep it retro and need a mechanical fuel pump then just use your 2 piece blocks. However, in this day in age, I would not run anything but a roller cam and if you use the "old " block, you would have to get a retro roller kit. Purchasing a '96 - 2001 350 Vortec would get you a roller cam, vortec head, and a one piece seal package. That would be a good start. These engines came in GM trucks and vans. They are cheaper now because of the LS craze. Have the block and heads checked well even if you find a "good running" engine, as the heads are prone to cracking. Run a 5.7 rod Scat rotating asm with desired compression and a nice muti angle valve job, (read articles on setting up vortecs for higher lift cams - most shops got this by now) 260 - 270ish cam and you should have a nice street engine.