eagle crank

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

eagle crank

Post by guest »

I WAS CHECKING THE RUNOUT ON THE NUMBER 1 MAIN OF A NEW CAST STEEL EAGLE 4 '' STROKE BBC CRANK I HAD 1.5 THOUSANT RUNOUT IS THIS OK WITH 3.5 THOUSANT BEARING CLEARANCE ALSO WHAT CLEARANCE SHOULD I RUN ON A MAX EFFORT RACE ENGINE THANKS GUEST
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-which main has that .0015" runout?
-how hard is the engine going to be run?
-why do you have .0035" clearance"

EAGLE CRANK

Post by GUEST »

#1 MAIN HAD 1.5 TH RUNOUT ENGINE IS STREET / STRIP 550 HP /6800 RPM CALLIS SAID 3.5-3.8 ON MAINS THANKS
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-Personally I'd not run it like that and I'd probably bitch long and loud to Callies.
-You have several choices:
1-run it.
2-grind the entire set of mains (or maybe just that front one) a thou or 10 under and buy a set of mains to get one main bearing for that one journal (locate the desired mains first).
3-have the journals reground and then hardchromed.
-------------------------------
-I would also doublecheck and check the snout, the crank timing gear surface, and the flywheel register & flywheel face for runout, check and the pilot bearing hole for concentricity.
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

I know of a machine shop in Florida that stopped stocking Eagle products because of Quality problems like what you are describing, and Eagle's reluctance to do anything about the problem. He stocks mainly Callies , and some Scat stuff from what I understand.
I would be inclinded myself to have the crank checked and reground.
AL...
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

I to have stopped dealing with the Eagle stuff about three years ago as it took 5 cranks to get a good one. And we have been using alot of the Scat stuff and have been very happy with it and the pricing is better as well.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
Grocerius Maximus
Pro
Pro
Post by Grocerius Maximus »

Is straightening cranks a lost art?
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-have you ever tried to straighten the front main? and keep the snout straight?
-I have a local guy who is really good at straightening cranks that have runout elsewhere meaning the 2nd-3rd or 4th main, but that cast iron nose looks like a real trick to get straight to me.
rfl28

Post by rfl28 »

i think your best bet is what bill said....grind all the mains .010 under and purchase the thicker bearing....if you have a good local crank grinder it should'nt be a problem....goodluck,..bob
stand on it!

eagle crank

Post by guest »

the bearing clearance im getting is3.3-3.5 on mains with 4.6 on the trust and 2.3-2.4 on the rods this is a 550 hp/6800 rpm street/strip motor the 4.6 trust seems a little big what do you recomend thanks guest
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-How are you determining the clearances? are you using micrometers or plastigage?
-Have you measured each journal with a calibrated and accurate micrometer and verified they are all within spec? are they to the small side of spec or what?
-Have you measured the main bearing bores of the block and main caps with a calibrated and accurate inside bore micrometer?
-Have you had someone else double check your findings?
-I've seen where 4 different guys can all get different numbers?
-What is the enviroment you are working in, warm shop, cold shop indoors, outdoors etc.
-What rods are you using?
-----------------------------
-I personally don't like clearances over about .0022" on the rods and about .0024 to .0026" on the front four mains and maybe .0028" on the rear main, but I also know what I can live with for oil weight and oil pressure etc.
Racer7088
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer7088 »

I've actually had more problems with SCAT cranks although I have had several Eagle LS1 cranks that had pilot bearing holes with NO PRESS! I was having them all checked and they usually are perfect with usually around .0001 runout or so! Maybe they are better now. I don't like that they still crossdrill some of their models like the 351W stuff! :(

They are crude but you get what you pay for I guess. OTOH it seemed that CAllies couldn't make a Ford crank to save their life and SCAT can't make LS1 cranks to save their lives?
Erik Koenig

Houston, TX

http://samracing.com

http://HKRacingEngines.com