EQ Head ?????

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: EQ Head ?????

Post by Newold1 »

My suggestion is to get those sponsor provided heads to a good head shop like HVH in Knoxville who has a lot of experience making iron heads class legal and still providing the flow numbers you need. Then when you get some good real flow numbers get a camshaft that will make those heads perform in the rpm ranges you need for your track. You could also check with Brzezenski and see what they will charge to do much the same thing. JMHO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Sponsorship money is limited, hence why these got purchased. Not working with an unlimited budget, so I’m looking for best possible advise so these can be done
Locally but best possible within reason. .540 intake .560 ex Lift rule, intake height limit 9.8:1/360 and 7000 pill are the main factors other than it has to be a 23 degrees cast iron head. Just want to pin point what to maximize within that but without spending $1500-2000 on head work.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

88bluestar wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:27 pm Sorry I had omitted to post other rules. 9.85:1 comp max,360 max cid .540/.560 lift rule solid cam and lifters(stock diameter,no mushroom type face), 7000 rpm pill. Any header, any muffler(most use inserts at the end of exhaust tubes to be legal lol. Any intake,Intake rule is max 7” from block top to carb surface. I was told by EQ rep that HVH had done testing with them and best result was with the 1.94/1.50 valves(not sure if this was specific to a certain sanction rule) but with what I assume was light work and specific valve job. I’m not one to hack away on ports etc, just want to match as close to what I can with the rules. The reason I got these heads was because of a sponsorship deal, so can’t complain about that. I realize horsepower wise they might not be the most perfect but with my recent experience with to big of a head I know I’d prefer a good strong torque curve more than hp numbers. The cam numbers I got from Mike Jones based on what I currently have engine wise and these heads. Porting is allowed. Have been using 93 non ethanol pump gas.
Might also add that my previous top end was the large runner Vortec bowtie heads/ bow tie raised runner intake, with a 252/255 @.050 duration and required a lot of gearing and still wasn’t strong lower on the track. Most run a 6.20-6.33, I had a 7.00. Tire sizes being near the same and car handles good so not a chassis/handling issue. 3000 lbs car.
I just looked at a 1/2 mile flat asphalt engine build we did in the late 80's so, the heads are probably un-obtainable but, Vortec's are probably better so, here goes.

355 Chevrolet V-8 ...9.5/1 compression ratio.

"292" casting Chevrolet Bow-Tie heads "out of the box" ports other than a sanding roll treatment;
64cc chambers converted to "straight" spark plugs; (a rule at the time).

2.020" intake and 1.500" exhaust valves; with Melling "nitrided" replacement stamped steel rockers.

Cast iron early Quadra-jet ported intake with 650 cfm #6425 Holley 2 brl. carb over the secondary bores.

General Kinetics solid flat tappet cam using .842" lifters:
288/282 @lash, 251 248 @.050", .553"/.549" valve lift, 106 installed at 99.
GM "service package" double valve springs with matching aluminum retainers from GM.

180 degree "Howe" headers 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step primaries to 44 inch 3" collectors.

412 lb/ft @4,100 RPM ... 463 HP at 6,400 RPM. on a Stusta dyno with a "D pack"

This just goes to show that it seems not a whole lot has happened in this venue for the last 25 some years.

It must be all about car acceleration, drivability and chassis advancements; along with tires.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

88bluestar wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm Have a pair of EQ heads hybrid vortec heads , 194/150 valves, has traditional intake ports(not tall Vortec type) and according to them it’s 240 cfm at .550. They say they are an air speed head, does respond well with light work but they've had the best success with the 1.94 valve. What port, and bowl work would you recommend?
Which EQ Head? CH350H?
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

88bluestar

If you want to usually make the A Main and stand on the podium once in a while, do as much as you can and possibly afford and maybe a tiny bit more because the top potential of those heads and a great camshaft is what is probably going to get you there!
I qualify that by saying you're a "kick-ass driver! :)
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Keith, they are the 350H. Standard older intake ports.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

I was thinking of going with 2.00 on the intake valve, and 1.5 exhaust valve. I know one of winning cars is using a similar head but with a super victor intake, albeit He has the 350c, Vortec ports.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Also have two intakes, A Victor Jr 2975(unported), and a chevy bowtie raised runner intake #10051103(port matched to a 1289 fee pro. Which makes more sense for this combo? 3/8 dirt track on the top side.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

88bluestar wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:01 pm Keith, they are the 350H. Standard older intake ports.
I haven't used the CH350H
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

If I had the 350C what would you suggest?
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

88bluestar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:00 pm If I had the 350C what would you suggest?
IDK what rules you have.

With 2.02/1.60 max no porting, no work more than .625 below the seat, .500 lift SFT cam, 4bbl, Rules.

I used the 2.02/1.60, a 38/45/60/75 valve job. 30 back cut on the intake. The flow numbers are on the Stan Weiss website.

The best Intake was the Super Victor. It also fit the best of anything I mocked up.

All these EQ heads need plenty of work to be race ready.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

ENGINES

1. Chevy and Ford engines, 360 cubic inches; Dodge 370 cubic inches in maximum with 9.5:1 compression ratio with a 5% tolerance. Has to be under 10.0:1. Engine block must be OEM production with original specifications. Any exhaust header with any muffler permitted. Mufflers or track approved baffles are required.

2. Flat top or dished pistons only. No part of the piston many protrude above the deck surface.

3. Titanium engine or truck parts are not permitted.

4. Any roller rocker arm is permitted.

5. Flat tappet cams only, hydraulic or solid lifters. Maximum lift is .540” intake and .560” on the exhaust, measured at zero lash on valve retainer. Lifter must be able to be removed from the top of the lifter bore.

6. Engine must be 93” or more from center line of rear axle to rear of engine block.

7. After-market cast iron heads are permitted with stock valve angles. Ford may use World Products casting.

8. Cold air box is optional and must pick up air at the base of the windshield. No forward facing scoops or Ram Air allowed.

9. Only 2 or 4 barrel carburetors permitted, no other exotic or predator.
10. Carburetor base dimensions no more than 7” above top of block measured with a straight edge across the spacer down to top of the block at rear manifold.

11. Gasoline and approved race fuel only, no additives, nitrous oxide or other oxygenating substances allowed in a 16 gallon fuel cell in a steel box mounted behind the rear axle. Two 2” strap must encompass the entire fuel cell. The bottom of the fuel cell must be level with the top of rear frame horns.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

88bluestar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 pm ENGINES

1. Chevy and Ford engines, 360 cubic inches; Dodge 370 cubic inches in maximum with 9.5:1 compression ratio with a 5% tolerance. Has to be under 10.0:1. Engine block must be OEM production with original specifications. Any exhaust header with any muffler permitted. Mufflers or track approved baffles are required.

2. Flat top or dished pistons only. No part of the piston many protrude above the deck surface.

3. Titanium engine or truck parts are not permitted.

4. Any roller rocker arm is permitted.

5. Flat tappet cams only, hydraulic or solid lifters. Maximum lift is .540” intake and .560” on the exhaust, measured at zero lash on valve retainer. Lifter must be able to be removed from the top of the lifter bore.

6. Engine must be 93” or more from center line of rear axle to rear of engine block.

7. After-market cast iron heads are permitted with stock valve angles. Ford may use World Products casting.

8. Cold air box is optional and must pick up air at the base of the windshield. No forward facing scoops or Ram Air allowed.

9. Only 2 or 4 barrel carburetors permitted, no other exotic or predator.
10. Carburetor base dimensions no more than 7” above top of block measured with a straight edge across the spacer down to top of the block at rear manifold.

11. Gasoline and approved race fuel only, no additives, nitrous oxide or other oxygenating substances allowed in a 16 gallon fuel cell in a steel box mounted behind the rear axle. Two 2” strap must encompass the entire fuel cell. The bottom of the fuel cell must be level with the top of rear frame horns.
I interpet #7 as unlimited porting to the heads. I think you need to get with a good head porting person.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

How extensive work would you suggest? How big of a port match, bowl work? The valve size is what has me most worried, just trying to get the most out of a litmited budget.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

88bluestar wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 pm ENGINES

Looking at those rules in particular;
I would probably look into running a W2 Mopar with lightweight rotating parts or certainly a much better Chevrolet head casting like a 200cc Dart..

Of course ... after you blow people away with that combination they would find a way to make it illegal.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.