292 flow #s

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: 292 flow #s

Post by cgarb »

Would be nice if there was a way to fill the water jacket on those above the ports. Really thin up there near the rocker studs and valve spring pockets.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

cgarb wrote:Would be nice if there was a way to fill the water jacket on those above the ports. Really thin up there near the rocker studs and valve spring pockets.
Those ports must be cut to the max I believe. I have had 2 sets of 292s over the years. On both of them the rocker stud boss was a blind holes That does not break into the intake ports. The top of the port is a lot thicker . Dan
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I have a set also, yes mine aren't broke into the stud hole either. I was just saying from a porting standpoint and strength standpoint if they were solid there the head would have way more potential. I have heard of those heads cracking into the water jacket from the spring pockets when they are cut deeper and larger for roller cams. If that area didn't have water there that issue wouldn't be a problem.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Point taken . Dan
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

It does look like there is only about .030" of material there after porting...that's cutting it pretty close. Probably wouldn't want to forget to turn the fan on with those heads...or you will have a sprinkler for sure.
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

My buddy has a set of 292's with about 4-6lbs of brazing material added to the casting....they were off a NHRA record holder that ran out of his shop in the late 70's.....he has an old electric oven with multiple heating elements he used to use for bringing the castings up to temp and taking them down to room temp as he was adding material. I have a nicely done set of 292's that basically copy the Chevy Power guidelines and probably flow around 250CFM of air @0.600" with 205/160 valves. The head porters had a rough time with the replacement Bow tie castings when they tried their "Turbo techniques" in porting them because of the major changes to the short side hump in the Bow ties....their methods didn't work too well with those Bow tie castings.
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

ZEOHSIX wrote:
I have a nicely done set of 292's that basically copy the Chevy Power guidelines

Please tell me more about the book.

TIA
Dave
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

dave brode wrote:
ZEOHSIX wrote:
I have a nicely done set of 292's that basically copy the Chevy Power guidelines

TIA
Dave
Doesnt Smokeys book show a cross section on how to port the 292s
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

dave brode wrote:
ZEOHSIX wrote:

TIA
Dave
It's the Chevy Power guide book sold over the counter in the late 70's early 80's if I can find my copy....Ill post some pages out of the manual. There were blueprint drawings in it of 292 porting cross sections commissioned by Chevy.

I just did a quick search on EBay.....go to auto literature and manuals there are a few......my version was the 3rd edition circa 1978 year book....the early 80's edition dropped the 292 porting for Bowtie castings.....Look for the one with the IMSA Monza on it and Formula 5000 car.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

cgarb wrote:Can a set of 292's get in the 280's without tubing the bolt holes and welding on the pushrod pinch area?
With a 2.08" diameter, 5/16" stemm valve, 50 degree seat ... probably.

The Diamond / Elkins "Winston Cup" heads I referred to ten years ago on this thread were on my very first 366 Engine Masters entry some 15 years ago.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

double post ... impatience :roll:
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

Have a set on a meticulously well-matched 355 build in a '65 Chevelle SS 4-speed. ('66 has is a BBC/AGE)

Had them done by Gene Fulton, around 5 years ago. He got all nostalgic about doing another set & seemed "happy" to re-visit his days churning them out for many of the record-holding M/P SBC cars of the day.

The winning M/P race team from those days I remember the most are the Marshall Tucker Band 66-67 Novas.
Gene's shop built every aspect of those cars and fortunately the 2 Tucker boys were also gifted drivers.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

here you go 292 head porting. I also have the CI bow tie specs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pamotorman on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
cgarb wrote:Can a set of 292's get in the 280's without tubing the bolt holes and welding on the pushrod pinch area?
With a 2.08" diameter, 5/16" stemm valve, 50 degree seat ... probably.

The Diamond / Elkins "Winston Cup" heads I referred to ten years ago on this thread were on my very first 366 Engine Masters entry some 15 years ago.
butch and jim did the heads for my NASCAR cup engines. #82 car
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

2 more pics i found :

MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com