Repco head.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

grandsport51
Pro
Pro
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:47 am

Re: Repco head.

Post by grandsport51 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:15 am

Yeah I remember those Pro-Stock hemi 6s wiping out
Those 351s ! Didn’t Ronnie Sox use an Aussie 6?
Dave B.
LIGHT 'EM UP

cjperformance
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 am
Location: South Australia

Re: Repco head.

Post by cjperformance » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:57 pm

grandsport51 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:15 am
Yeah I remember those Pro-Stock hemi 6s wiping out
Those 351s ! Didn’t Ronnie Sox use an Aussie 6?
Dave B.
:lol:
Craig.

Geoff2
Expert
Expert
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:36 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Repco head.

Post by Geoff2 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:23 am

And of course those 351s were unmodified, exactly as they left Ford....

cjperformance
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 am
Location: South Australia

Re: Repco head.

Post by cjperformance » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:16 am

Geoff2 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:23 am
And of course those 351s were unmodified, exactly as they left Ford....
No, they were modified post assembly line as were the 265's.
Any how! This was about the high power grey, the hi power head does have some resemblance to the W BBC on the external exhaust side, i wonder if any influence at all were taken from there? Intake side, yeah 3 gang intake port is a real UK influenced idea i would think?
Craig.

grandsport51
Pro
Pro
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:47 am

Re: Repco head.

Post by grandsport51 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:51 am

Back to that high speed head
See pic of pushrod version used by Rolls Royce protyping a 1Cyl Griffon Cylinder

Also see terrific link on ramp head Merlin!

https://www.enginehistory.org/Piston/Ro ... /RHM.shtml

Dave B.
IMG_2812.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LIGHT 'EM UP

Geoff2
Expert
Expert
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:36 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Repco head.

Post by Geoff2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:10 am

CJ,
E49 was not modified 'post assembly' line. They left the Sth Aust assembly plant & went straight to showroom floors. Chrys shipped a Val to the Weber plant in Italy BEFORE the Weber powered cars went on sale, to get the Webers tuned. Just like Ford went to Westlake for design assistance with their new heads ..... Smart thing to do in my opinion, get help from the experts rather than guess.

As far as engine designs resembling others....Another smart move if the engine turns out to be a winner like the E49.

cjperformance
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 am
Location: South Australia

Re: Repco head.

Post by cjperformance » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:18 am

Geoff2 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:10 am
CJ,
E49 was not modified 'post assembly' line. They left the Sth Aust assembly plant & went straight to showroom floors. Chrys shipped a Val to the Weber plant in Italy BEFORE the Weber powered cars went on sale, to get the Webers tuned. Just like Ford went to Westlake for design assistance with their new heads ..... Smart thing to do in my opinion, get help from the experts rather than guess.

As far as engine designs resembling others....Another smart move if the engine turns out to be a winner like the E49.
GB, as you know, ALL of the pre super car scare racers were assembled on the production line, you had to be able to buy them ex production to be able to race them. But , any of the race winners (and most cars on the tracks) were modified ex factory, they did anything they could to improve them to get the race edge. The E49 was a better short circuit car than the ph3 for sure, lighter, similar tyre sizes, and being IR with the 3x webers very tractable. Down on all out top end but for short/tight track that didnt matter, with the IR intake it was in another league. It actually would have been a great move by Ford in the day to have done the same as Chrysler and put 4x IR webers on the production ph3, or at least 2x inline autolites, now that would have been a seriously good move! Wouldnt that make it a completely different ride!
All jesting aside, i dont really think that chrysler copied a clevo head ! Lol. And i do have great respect for the pseudo Hemi 6 bangers.
I'll stop revving you up now, lets get back to those exciting old grey 6's!!
Craig.

cjperformance
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 am
Location: South Australia

Re: Repco head.

Post by cjperformance » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:24 am

grandsport51 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:51 am
Back to that high speed head
See pic of pushrod version used by Rolls Royce protyping a 1Cyl Griffon Cylinder

Also see terrific link on ramp head Merlin!

https://www.enginehistory.org/Piston/Ro ... /RHM.shtml

Dave B.IMG_2812.PNG
Hmm, surely some thought for the repco was taken from that?
Craig.

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:41 am

Re: Repco head.

Post by midnightbluS10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 am

grandsport51 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:43 pm
For A bodies only says the hemi slant six is a photoshop job?
The Hemi slant is an elaborate hoax. It was claimed to have welded two late model Hemi heads together...blah blah blah. But those pics and a few fake "under construction" pics are all that exist. The EFI slant however, has been around a long time. Just go to rancefi.com and see. Rance is da man.
So the hyper pac was the ultimate factory Slant Six

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/hyper-pak.html
Dave B.7A74952B-D1F5-4957-84C0-318052C26CB0.jpeg
Its actually not an elaborate hoax or photoshop. I suspect they're just too lazy to do their due diligence and find it easier to just call BS. This took about 3 mins to find and confirm as real, IMHO.

http://herohog.com/images/cars/Slant6Hemi.html

Image

Image
JC - Precision Guesswork & Expert Up Arrow Manipulation

grandsport51
Pro
Pro
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:47 am

Re: Repco head.

Post by grandsport51 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:50 pm

I hate to beat this Hemi Head Chinese Six but I have a pretty good eye for these things and this is a fake for sure !

The Valve cover is obviously bogus
The included angle between the valves is incorrect
and there are intake ports visible inside the valve cover area
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=26620
open the attached link by the builder and tell me i'm wrong !!
Opera Snapshot_2018-12-06_183630_www.google.com.png
Opera Snapshot_2018-12-06_183820_www.google.com.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LIGHT 'EM UP

Geoff2
Expert
Expert
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:36 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Repco head.

Post by Geoff2 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:08 am

Somebody mentioned the Slant Six. Another Chrysler winner. A special six cyl compact cars race was sanctioned by Nascar in 1960 & was run at Daytona. Chrysler entered seven Slant six cars. All seven finished the race! Places one through to seven......

And somebody mentioned the Hemi. From a 1964 motoring magazine:"

"Chrysler engineers unveil a set of heads that will outbreathe anything ever put on an American engine before. The results: over 500 hp & fantastic new acceleration records.

grandsport51
Pro
Pro
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:47 am

Re: Repco head.

Post by grandsport51 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:48 am

Did the Engineers at Mopar pay royalties to Zora for

copying the Ardun Heads for the Gen 1s.

Mopar always did a good job of engineering however

And installing their drivetrains in tin cans . LOL

Dave B.
LIGHT 'EM UP

Geoff2
Expert
Expert
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:36 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Repco head.

Post by Geoff2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:49 am

Dave,
I don't think Chrysler had to pay anybody anything when they built their first automotive hemi in 1951. Hemi combustion chambers had been in use for decades prior to 1951. What C did was what they were good at: got the sum total of the engine parts/parameters working together as a unit for great performance.....& reliability.

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5441
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:19 am
Location: MA

Re: Repco head.

Post by Keith Morganstein » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:58 am

grandsport51 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:50 pm
I hate to beat this Hemi Head Chinese Six but I have a pretty good eye for these things and this is a fake for sure !

The Valve cover is obviously bogus
The included angle between the valves is incorrect
and there are intake ports visible inside the valve cover area
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=26620
open the attached link by the builder and tell me i'm wrong !!
Opera Snapshot_2018-12-06_183630_www.google.com.png
Opera Snapshot_2018-12-06_183820_www.google.com.png
Fantasy, It's a fairly good photo editing job. Hard to tell on a small screen at message board resolution.
If you look on a bigger screen, you see some of the pasting and blurring.
That and the parts just don't go together, there is not just one type of head and set of components, but a collage of heads and components.

The OP said he glued 5.7 hemi heads together, sure he did. That was the start of his undoing.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o

User avatar
Stan Weiss
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3709
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:31 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Repco head.

Post by Stan Weiss » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:20 pm

grandsport51 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:50 pm
I hate to beat this Hemi Head Chinese Six but I have a pretty good eye for these things and this is a fake for sure !

The Valve cover is obviously bogus
The included angle between the valves is incorrect
and there are intake ports visible inside the valve cover area
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=26620
open the attached link by the builder and tell me i'm wrong !!
Opera Snapshot_2018-12-06_183630_www.google.com.png
Opera Snapshot_2018-12-06_183820_www.google.com.png
What is the bore spacing on a 392 hemi and what is the bore spacing for the 6?

Stan
Stan Weiss / World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
Do you use engine simulation software that uses cylinder head flow files?
We have a package of more than 3000 DFW or FLW Files

Post Reply