GM's new 4.2L DOHC twin turbo V-8 !!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bazman
Pro
Pro

Re: GM's new 4.2L DOHC twin turbo V-8 !!

Post by Bazman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:58 am

Going out on a limb here, but a McLaren 720 is not a drag car, yet has been clocked at 9.7 on the 1/4. It punches above its weight. Enter the C8... and please God a future Zora... and you could have an all American car that can show a Demon the way if it has to... but put up astonishing lap times too. A positive displacement blower is just a bad idea for hot lapping, it also raise the center of gravity and roll point... not good either. Now, the new ZR1 is an incredible car and what a deal for the money... but don't expect it to run lap 25 as quick as lap 2-3.... enter turbos, now it's possible. Now they can play with the big boys

GM know what they're doing and have had the luxury of watching a lot of very cool exotics get it right before they reveal their hand. I think they're going to nail it - if not 1st time, watch for the Godzilla that will come. I'm excited

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:49 am

Mid engine? Does that mean engine removal for service items like replacing a water pump, or a head gasket etc.? I guess that sort of thing is pretty standard nowadays, like removing a cab on a ford to reach stuff on the rear of the engine. DOHC I see $5000. timing chain and or guide replacement costs, after the warranty is out. Sounds like GM is on the ball for dealer service centers with these new engines and mid engine design.
Isn't there a foreign made mid engine car that needs the engine removed to change the oil?

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:28 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:49 am
Mid engine? Does that mean engine removal for service items like replacing a water pump, or a head gasket etc.? I guess that sort of thing is pretty standard nowadays, like removing a cab on a ford to reach stuff on the rear of the engine. DOHC I see $5000. timing chain and or guide replacement costs, after the warranty is out. Sounds like GM is on the ball for dealer service centers with these new engines and mid engine design.
Isn't there a foreign made mid engine car that needs the engine removed to change the oil?
Pull the cab for timing chains? That would be the 4.0 in Explorer/ Ranger ?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire

levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:16 am

Is a mid engine Vette really necessary ?

Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:33 am

Does anyone really ever buy a car like a mid-engine Corvette because it's NECESSARY ! :lol:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:

levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:39 am

Mid engine cars are ugly

hoffman900
Guru
Guru

Post by hoffman900 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:03 am

Mid engine cars are ugly.
Too many cams.
Too new.
Fuel pressure is too high, might explode.
Where are the t-tops?
Get off my lawn

:lol:
-Bob

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:03 am

Nobody buys a Vette (of any sort) because it's "necessary"!

Chevrolet reached the limit of what could be done with a front engine platform. Ferrari, McLaren, etc use mid engine for a reason ... and it's the same reason GM is doing this. Will it look "different", sure. They'll have to push the driver's compartment forward.

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:22 am

adam728 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:43 pm
Oil is cheap,

It isn't wasted, either. Where I am gainfully employed, used oil is used to heat the facility, instead of natural gas.

Where "waste" oil is "recycled", it us generally used to either make asphalt for roads or provide fuel for ships, instead of those end-uses taking it straight out of the ground.

The oil dumped out of your engine when you do an oil change is never, EVER wasted, it is used for another purpose!! It is far better to change oil maybe too often so that less energy and materials are wasted in making a new car.

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:24 am

Brian P wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:03 am
Nobody buys a Vette (of any sort) because it's "necessary"!

Chevrolet reached the limit of what could be done with a front engine platform. Ferrari, McLaren, etc use mid engine for a reason ... and it's the same reason GM is doing this. Will it look "different", sure. They'll have to push the driver's compartment forward.
I ask again. What is the functional reason? Can turbo a front engine car. So that's not it.

Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:39 am

The wants, wishes, and desires of the Corvette or sports performance car consumer determines what that market will purchase. That's what will sell to that market and pretty much totally determines what the factories will design and produce. The Corvette enthusiasts and buyers are wanting a mid-engine car on majority and that's where GM is going with the Corvette. It may not be justified in all minds but at these newer higher prices, but that's what will sell! "Cool" is a perception, not a reality. JMO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:31 am

Ron E wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:24 am
I ask again. What is the functional reason? Can turbo a front engine car. So that's not it.
The main advantage of midengine is mostly braking. A car that is 50/50 weight sitting on the scales is 70/30 on the brake and overloads the front tires. A midengine car that starts arc30/70 is 50/50 when braking giving more braking for more laps. You can also brake a little deeper into the turns which also helps.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

hoffman900
Guru
Guru

Post by hoffman900 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:34 am

mk e wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:31 am
Ron E wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:24 am
The main advantage of midengine is mostly braking. A car that is 50/50 weight sitting on the scales is 70/30 on the brake and overloads the front tires. A midengine car that starts arc30/70 is 50/50 when braking giving more braking for more laps. You can also brake a little deeper into the turns which also helps.
+1

Most of the world doesn’t live a 1/4 mile at a time. Mid engine sports cars are a proven concept... for about 60 years now.
-Bob

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:18 pm

I have to ask, does anyone here think they can take this years highest performance front engine Vette and utlilize all it's performance on a public road other than in a straight line? I have to ask, can anyone here take the highest performance Camaro, Mustang or Challenger and use all the performance on the street other than in a straight line...?
Super performance cars are bragging rights for the manufacturer and the owners...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire

hoffman900
Guru
Guru

Post by hoffman900 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Truckedup wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:18 pm
I have to ask, does anyone here think they can take this years highest performance front engine Vette and utlilize all it's performance on a public road other than in a straight line? I have to ask, can anyone here take the highest performance Camaro, Mustang or Challenger and use all the performance on the street other than in a straight line...?
Super performance cars are bragging rights for the manufacturer and the owners...
That goes for any vehicle though. Go watch the video fo at Troy Bayliss on the old supercharged BMW from the ‘30s at Goodwood. He would run circles around most average modern sport bike owners on that thing. It’s not a modern vs old thing, so much as talent.

Track days are very popular for a reason though and really keep all those road racing tracks open.

Most vehicle purchases aren’t made for practical reasons. You would see a lot more small hatch backs on the road if that were the case. These are all emotional purchases, just like the site’s existence. You don’t NEED to make vehicles faster...
-Bob