GM's Computer Command Control (CCC)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rfoll
Guru
Guru

Re: GM's Computer Command Control (CCC)

Post by rfoll »

I'm going to give the system a chance, but as a precaution I am building a Quadrajet to use in conjunction with a Street Fire MSD HEI distributor. I rebuilt an Edelbrock 1903 QJ for it, but it test out to be pig rich on my Impala, even with the APT bottomed out. $40 rebuild down the drain. Next up is an $5.00 QJ # 17081205, (800 cfm unit), from a swap meet. My supply of base gaskets is dwindling.
So much to do, so little time...
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

rfoll wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:59 am My supply of base gaskets is dwindling.
Crunch all you want...they'll make more.
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

this is an interesting conversation to me. i have saved quite a few feedback qjets over the years. holley used to make the quarter mile dial with a knob controlled mc solenoid . i allways thought that was a good idea. i wideband feedback controller would be awesome
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

The problem I have with investing money in a new controller is the possibility the existing carb might die. The cost of replacing it could easily off-set the savings of the increased fuel economy. This will be a daily driver, so the bottom dollar is always going to matter. The fresh 350 in the wrecked El Camino got 19+ MMPG with a rebuilt $5 swap meet carb and a throwaway SP2P intake. That being said, I love the discussion and hope I can make this work.
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

the only things that might die in the carb are the tps or the mc solenoid. that would be the least of my worries. my biggest concern would be how to adapt and program a new controler to drive the mc solenoid and which one to use. I think tuners idea is a good one and hes put it in practice enough to know it works but a new modern unit thats faster and programable would be better i would think
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Thanks to all that replied, but the system is not going to work. When I received my factory service manual and electrical troubleshooting manual, it became obvious there are several parts missing. The engine has a chrome timing cover and I suspect it got a small cam, possibly a result of worn lobes or an exploded plastic timing gear. The car runs OK, but will not idle properly. I have a QJ on a Performer manifold and an MSD HEI distributor ready to go. My friend at Generation Transmission rebuilt my 350C to replace the dead 250C in the car and I can soon be on the road. We will just hot wire the converter clutch with a switch on the dash. I'm hoping the cruise control will still work, although I can live without it. Thanks again, Rick.