Matching cam

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

camaro/holland
Matching cam

Post by camaro/holland »

Ok guys. Been a lurker for a long time here, enjoying a lot of info which most of the time exceeds my wits... but have a question for you now, so looking forward to your answers and help.

Aside from a custom cam, which would be the best choice of course, which cam would better suit this combo and why in your opinion?

Car is a 71 Camaro, never weighted but let's say 200 pounds lighter ment as a stip/street toy. Don't mind making it more extreme after every season.

Thanks in advance.

3.90 gears
Caltraks
Calvert shocks front and rear
Th400 MFVB
8pt bar

11:1
Scat rotating assembly
Home ported Sportsman II heads
Dart Kool Can intake (similar to Air gap)
150 shot

Cam 1 - HR

Cam 2 - SR
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Matching cam

Post by MadBill »

Welcome to a visible presence c/h!
You've provided a number of important criteria re cam selection but unfortunately a number of questions remain:
1. Despite having a 27" monitor, I can't read the Comp card.
2. Also, is there some reason you must chose one or the other of these cams? Given the thousands of available parts, odds are pretty good that any number of even non-custom grinds (which often cost no more than shelf parts and are one of the best bargains re hot rod parts.) would better suit your needs. (e.g. nitrous-specific cams can provide significant power gains with no loss of street driveability.)
3. Solids and hydraulics have different pros and cons beyond the card values, e.g. more maintenance and typically more power for the former.
4. Intended focus is a major factor, e.g. maximizing track performance with nitrous will require very different specs than 'mostly street with occasional track use'.
5. With these answers added, a number of guys here can give good advice re what you need.

BTW, my all street (no bar or cage) aluminum big block 4 speed 1970 Z-28 weighs 3300# wet without me aboard.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

What torque convertor, tire size? I would run more rear gear with those cams
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

are you thinking of using a plate or fogger system
even with a extra spacer under the nitrous plate you will probably run into mixture distribution problems with a dual plane intake.
what rpm do want to turn ?? have you ported the cylinder heads to suite nitrous
meaning a high exhaust to intake ratio,plenty engines making good power with a small shot being set up to run hard Naturally aspirated.
i think everyone needs to know your expectation before they reply.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

They just tested that on Engine Masters about the distribution problems with nitrous on a dual plane intake. You may want to reference that episode (#38) and see what they were dealing with as I don't recall what the results were.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
camaro/holland

Post by camaro/holland »

Thanks all for your quick replies and more questions :mrgreen: Will try to provide additional information.

The cam data for the CC cam is:
Rpm range 3000 - 7000
Valve timing 0.015
Lobe Separation 110°
Intake centerline 106°
Valve Lash 0.016/0.018
Duration @ 0.05 248/254
Lift @ valve 0.576/0.582

The reason for the choice is that I already have the HR with lifters lying on the shelf, but could score the SR for a fair price if it will be that much better for my combo.

I don't mind a bit more work with setting/checking the lash. I'm more concerned about oil starvation on the street.

I don't mind optimizing the combo for nitrous to loose some power N/A.

The converter is 9" IIRC 3000 stall.

Tires 28"

I have a NOS super power shot kit with a nos mini controller so I will be able to tune the hit.

Building a 383, I don't expect/need to turn very high RPMs, but getting there quicker will be of course better.

The heads are not specifically ported for nitrous. If you have some additional information on how to achieve this, please let me know.

Thanks for informing me about the EM episode, will have a look at it.
nabx22

Post by nabx22 »

I run that same comp cam in my corvette with a 355 small block 11.1 motor.I have dart iron eagle 200 cc heads that have been ported and run a team g single plane intake with a 150 shot.The cam works really well for street strip.Also the 3.90 gears should work well with this cam I run 3.73.
camaro/holland

Post by camaro/holland »

Thanks for chiming in. Any track/dyno data on your combo?
camaro/holland

Post by camaro/holland »

Oh and if it adds anything, the carb is a Holley 750hp and I can throw Harland 1.65 RRs on it.