Oil level

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
LB9GTA
New Member
New Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Oil level

Post by LB9GTA » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:23 pm

I have a new engine
sbc421

Got an oil pan(Stef's B&B) without the oil dipstick (91087)
Says that its a 5.5L pan, and with the filter it's 6L

Is there a simple way to determine the proper oil level?

Or am I over thinking this? and just put 6L in ?

77cruiser
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1128
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:32 pm
Location: I Falls MN
Contact:

Re: Oil level

Post by 77cruiser » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:57 am

I use a 91088 & have 6.5 quarts in it. I had to reweld mine , it leaked on the back.
Jim

BB70
New Member
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: cincinnati, ohio

Re: Oil level

Post by BB70 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:21 am

I put one of these on as I didn't want a dipstick but needed to monitor the level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LB9GTA
New Member
New Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Re: Oil level

Post by LB9GTA » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Interesting, I've never seen that gauge before.

The 91088 is 1L bigger, ya

BB70
New Member
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: cincinnati, ohio

Re: Oil level

Post by BB70 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:53 pm

I got it from McMaster Carr I believe. It's mainly a oil level- temp sight glass for a hydraulic tank for various types of machines.

shoedoos
Pro
Pro
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:14 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Oil level

Post by shoedoos » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:58 pm

^^^^^ any chance of a link to the McMaster page you got that sight from?

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1640
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:50 am

Re: Oil level

Post by Newold1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:17 pm

5.5Liters sounds right = 5.75 quarts
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:

zums
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:57 am
Location: south jersey

Re: Oil level

Post by zums » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:38 pm

BB70 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:53 pm
I got it from McMaster Carr I believe. It's mainly a oil level- temp sight glass for a hydraulic tank for various types of machines.
So you would rather crawl under your car instead of using a dipstick?
Tom

Schurkey
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Oil level

Post by Schurkey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:51 pm

Why add more than 5 quarts? What do you gain with a higher oil level?

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7350
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am

Re: Oil level

Post by Kevin Johnson » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:04 pm

shoedoos wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:58 pm
^^^^^ any chance of a link to the McMaster page you got that sight from?
https://www.mcmaster.com/levels Scroll down to level monitoring.

BB70
New Member
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: cincinnati, ohio

Re: Oil level

Post by BB70 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:24 am

zums wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:38 pm
BB70 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:53 pm
I got it from McMaster Carr I believe. It's mainly a oil level- temp sight glass for a hydraulic tank for various types of machines.
So you would rather crawl under your car instead of using a dipstick?
Tom
Not a big deal to get on my hands and knees and peek thru the rear of the front tire. Also I can have somebody hold it at 2 grand and can tell how much oil is up in the motor. Thanks Kevin for providing a link.

John

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7350
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am

Re: Oil level

Post by Kevin Johnson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 am

BB70 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:24 am
... Also I can have somebody hold it at 2 grand and can tell how much oil is up in the motor. ...
Do you recall what a typical amount is?

Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:20 am
Location: Anthem / Phoenix Arizona

Re: Oil level

Post by Jeff Lee » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:20 am

I can’t find the P/N I have, but I bought a reflective sight window from LENZ with a weld-in bung for the side of my oil pan. It was about $65 shipped. Call Lenz and they will tell you what you need.
https://lenzinc.com/product-search?sear ... ght+window
NHRA SS/H
1970 AMX
390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches
Red Line Racing Cams

BB70
New Member
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: cincinnati, ohio

Re: Oil level

Post by BB70 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:34 am

Kevin Johnson wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 am
BB70 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:24 am
... Also I can have somebody hold it at 2 grand and can tell how much oil is up in the motor. ...
Do you recall what a typical amount is?
I have not done that yet. I have checked it while priming the motor on the engine stand though and it's almost 2 qts.

John

Greenlight
Pro
Pro
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:37 pm

Re: Oil level

Post by Greenlight » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:23 am

BB70 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:24 am
zums wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:38 pm
BB70 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:53 pm
I got it from McMaster Carr I believe. It's mainly a oil level- temp sight glass for a hydraulic tank for various types of machines.
So you would rather crawl under your car instead of using a dipstick?
Tom
Not a big deal to get on my hands and knees and peek thru the rear of the front tire. Also I can have somebody hold it at 2 grand and can tell how much oil is up in the motor. Thanks Kevin for providing a link.

John

I'd really like to see a Go Pro camera video of that level guage during a run.
Project Greenlight

Post Reply