cylinder head tubes

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

blwilliams
Pro
Pro

cylinder head tubes

Post by blwilliams »

Cylinder head bolt holes that have broken into the intake port due to porting or CNC.
Any pros and cons about inserting a brass tube into the head bolt hole to prevent vacuum leaks or oil into the port.
I have installed the tubes in the past, but wonder if it is really necessary in a NA application.
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Re: cylinder head tubes

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

I do it I think it helps. However I don’t do it on 3/8 bolt holes because the 3/8 studs fit much tighter in the hole than the standard size
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
Brian W
Pro
Pro

Post by Brian W »

I use to always sleeve them. But have not in the last 10-12 years.. as long as you put a bit of silicone under the nut/bolt head I have not had any issues in 100's of heads.
gowest

Post by gowest »

Is the clamping integrity affected in a negative manner ? Or possibly cracking issues from a very thin port wall ? Maybe more problematic in iron than aluminum ?
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

I don’t go all the way down. About .650 from deck. To date no cracking issues that I’m aware of but I use and sell good head castings.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
gowest

Post by gowest »

Thanks Eric. I actually had factory iron in my mind and have wondered if they could withstand cutting into the headbolt holes without installing fairly thick tubes, which brings up another question. How does it help to open a wall into a bolt hole and then have the bolt or tube protruding into the port ? Maybe an average area kind of thing ?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

A number of intake CNC programs a nearby shop specializing in Hemis uses break through into the pushrod holes by ~ 0.200" (see 2nd port from left). He says there is only a few CFM impact from the required thin wall brass tubes vs. puttied smooth with no tubes. YRMV.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I use the tube from these toilet hinge sets, thin wall brass, one tube will do 2 holes, 1/2" diameter.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... eats/40418
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

From a cosmetic stand point the tubes look better. I have done them both ways and could tell no difference.
gowest

Post by gowest »

Well I gather it must be fairly safe to cut into the head bolt hole from a structural standpoint. Thin tubes would probably still add a little bit of strength and cosmetic value. Pushrod tubes weren't so scary since they don't have a clamping force applied. Helpful thread and thanks all responders.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

gowest wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:24 am Well I gather it must be fairly safe to cut into the head bolt hole from a structural standpoint. Thin tubes would probably still add a little bit of strength and cosmetic value. Pushrod tubes weren't so scary since they don't have a clamping force applied. Helpful thread and thanks all responders.
I usually ream down to about a 1/2" before the deck so that the tube has a lip to sit on so the pressure is applied to the deck surface just in case. I ran mine on 12.1 engine with up to 300 shot of nitrous with Fel-Pro blue head gaskets and never had an issue.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
gowest

Post by gowest »

Thanks for the personal experience Gary. Always good to gather information, from others experience, that may help to further the search for power.