Would you build a stock block 427" SBC today?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Would you build a stock block 427" SBC today?

Post by PackardV8 »

We are trying to chase away a customer who wants a low-buck 427" SBC, using a 400" block. This wouldn't be a max-effort build. but since the affordable Chicom stroker kits are all over the internet, he thinks it's great for bragging rights over the 406"s.

Aside from having to use a small-base-circle cam, what other reasons would you not go there these days?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Re: Would you build a stock block 427" SBC today?

Post by Dave Koehler »

low buck, budget, bragging rights, 400 oem block
Just say No?

Edit: IF he wants to be the engine assembler/builder and you handle the machinework that might be one way to keep it at arms length.
Other than that too many red flags.
Last edited by Dave Koehler on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

Not me!!!
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Go for it....I'm way past teaching customers lessons.

I make it crystal clear what can happen, they sign the work order which explains everything in detail.

It's no skin off my azz...or reputation.

Some guys just don't have the money , time or patience to wait and do things right.. they seem to have just as much fun blowing shyt up as I do not doing that

I have a guy right now begging me to build a big inch small block Olds..in the 480 to 500 range.he has most of the parts and it can be done
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

If he's talking bragging rights over a 406 I'd say no. I've done a lot of 406s in the 650-750 hp range. Stock blocks will crack with them so don't see it getting better with more cubes.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

SupStk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:10 pm If he's talking bragging rights over a 406 I'd say no. I've done a lot of 406s in the 650-750 hp range. Stock blocks will crack with them so don't see it getting better with more cubes.
This is the inexplicable; no one can see any difference looking at it. He could be running a 350" with a Big Mutha Thumpr and lots of exterior bling and save himself a lot of money and potential grief.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

PackardV8 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:51 pm
SupStk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:10 pm If he's talking bragging rights over a 406 I'd say no. I've done a lot of 406s in the 650-750 hp range. Stock blocks will crack with them so don't see it getting better with more cubes.
This is the inexplicable; no one can see any difference looking at it. He could be running a 350" with a Big Mutha Thumpr and lots of exterior bling and save himself a lot of money and potential grief.
Cash and no receipt is your friend on this one!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Not a stock block.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

PackardV8 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:47 pm We are trying to chase away a customer who wants a low-buck 427" SBC, using a 400" block. This wouldn't be a max-effort build. but since the affordable Chicom stroker kits are all over the internet, he thinks it's great for bragging rights over the 406"s.

Aside from having to use a small-base-circle cam, what other reasons would you not go there these days?
An LSX or Coyote are vastly superior engines, why bother with antiques?

I don't think I even saw a gen 1 SBC at SEMA this year.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
wjnielsen
Pro
Pro

Post by wjnielsen »

Last V8 I was involved with was a 383 Chrysler with a 4.25" Chinese crank & rods, about ten years ago.

IIRC, the machine work (bore, hone w/ plates, line bore, decking, oil system mods, was a pretty good chunk of change. Like it flattened a thousand dollar bill.

If I could've got a beefier aftermarket block from Summit/Jegs/Amazon Prime at <$2k, I would have jumped at it - the thought of possibly breaking a lump of iron that's just had $$$ spent on massaging it never has sat well with me.
seduce the attractive... charm the rest
Rowdy Yates

Post by Rowdy Yates »

My thoughts are somewhat crazy. I don't care what engine type. As long as I can get the head & intake package wanted it doesn't matter. Some things are working Backwards and placing a 4 inch crank in a stock 400 block is one. Stick to a 406 as listed by Dave Koehler, SupStk and Steve good forged bottom end and decent set of heads. The machine work with Balancing along with stuffing a fat chicken inside a duck.. Crank inside the block your asking for trouble. Rpm is not your friend with a stock 400 and four inch crank. A 406 that rev's should make the HP wanted with good heads Rpm with compression. And best of all its a happier engine. Which means longevity. I'd look for a raised runner head for a 406 and not stroker crank.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

A lot of guys like to have a certain engine just for bragging rights as mentioned. Many never use all the power anyways if it's a street engine...On one hand, the customer wants you do do work you personally think is dumb...and perhaps you don't want the bad press if it blows up..On the other hand,just do what the customer wants, it's his money...Yes?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

I have built a two of these using 3.940 stroke and a 4.155 bore by using a small journal crank and com star rods I was able to run a standard base circle cam; no grinding for clearance. Going with a Dart SHP block and shelf pistons for 421 with 1.062 comp. height. You don't need to deck the block, plus .004 deck height; that save you some time & money. What I am trying to say is for few dollars more you will have piece built right; give your customer the choice. Then you can rest easy.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

No matter how you do the math - old stock block SBC + 427 cubic inches = 0 !!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I will go with the majority, 400 stock block at the least will crack and blow head gaskets, and the worst big boom, not a question of if, just when. I learned my lesson many years ago with 440 mopar blocks, the aftermarket block was the most cost effective purchase I have ever made for my race car.