I6 ford questions palooza

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

The Badger

I6 ford questions palooza

Post by The Badger »

Well got an interesting project put on my table today, brother in law got a 67 mustang with a 200 i6 engine (7 bolt main) and him being 16 wants a little bit of power without spending very much. I already trade my work on car for him doing work for me around my house and yard work so my labour isnt really a factor on price for him. But now here come the questions that im hoping soneone will know to save me some time.

1. What is the max bore anyone has done to one of these? One cylinder has a nice gash in it and im looking at boring it out to clean it up but i wont have sonic checker for another month to tell him our chances of using it.if it really needs it i will sleeve the hole.

2. Anyone done anything wild to the heads/intake? Seems like a fun place to mess around with the design since i do have a spare 200 head if things go south.

3. Anyone who has worked on them done anything they regret that maybe i could avoid?

Im only 24 ,so not an engine im super knlowedgable on to say the least. But to get another guy from the younger generation into cars i couldnt really pass it up.

His goals are reasonable to me, just wants 160 na or he was hoping 300 area from a turbo which i have no experience in first hand but id learn for him, but to me sems doable.

So let me have it guys, give me the why tos and the why nots.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: I6 ford questions palooza

Post by Keith Morganstein »

The Badger wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:43 pm Well got an interesting project put on my table today, brother in law got a 67 mustang with a 200 i6 engine (7 bolt main) and him being 16 wants a little bit of power without spending very much. I already trade my work on car for him doing work for me around my house and yard work so my labour isnt really a factor on price for him. But now here come the questions that im hoping soneone will know to save me some time.

1. What is the max bore anyone has done to one of these? One cylinder has a nice gash in it and im looking at boring it out to clean it up but i wont have sonic checker for another month to tell him our chances of using it.if it really needs it i will sleeve the hole.

2. Anyone done anything wild to the heads/intake? Seems like a fun place to mess around with the design since i do have a spare 200 head if things go south.

3. Anyone who has worked on them done anything they regret that maybe i could avoid?

Im only 24 ,so not an engine im super knlowedgable on to say the least. But to get another guy from the younger generation into cars i couldnt really pass it up.

His goals are reasonable to me, just wants 160 na or he was hoping 300 area from a turbo which i have no experience in first hand but id learn for him, but to me sems doable.

So let me have it guys, give me the why tos and the why nots.
The most forum info on the 200 is over at fordsix.com https://fordsix.com/viewforum.php?f=1

There is this book, https://www.vintageinlines.com/product- ... e-handbook

One of the popular and effective head mods is milling the intake and installing a 2bbl carb mount. That, a little porting of the head and bowls, a cam and exhaust are about what can be done on a budget.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o