Detonation stumping me

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gtca9014

Detonation stumping me

Post by gtca9014 »

I rebuilt a 351W with AllPro heads. Ran fine before. He ran it hot and warped the heads. Bored, cut .015 off heads to straighten, put rest together as came apart with .045 deck clearance. Didn't detonate before at 34 degrees total, 16 initial and vacuum advance. Now at part throttle above 2000 it pings horribly with 30 degrees total and no vacuum advance (unhooked it testing). Car sat for 1 year so I thought maybe it was gas. Added octane boost, ran that tank out and many others driving easy. Plugs look slightly lean but not extreme and it ran jetted like this before. Thinking may have vacuum leak somewhere but haven't found it. Couple thoughts:
1. PCV valve is teed into brake booster line- is this correct? Don't remember if this was the way it was before. Could this cause problem?
2. Could a vacuum leak from intake into lifter valley cause this issue? How do I check for that? The intake was not cut, should it have been with .015 off the heads?
Need to get this thing out of my life, any help would be appreciated.
travis
Guru
Guru
Re: Detonation stumping me

Post by travis »

I have never seen a PCV tied in with the power brakes. Is this normal for whatever your working on?

Although I have never checked, I always thought the pcv vacuum was considerably less than full manifold vacuum. Are you sucking oil out of the valve cover? How about removing the pcv from the equation and see if that helps?
Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Post by Firedome8 »

No the pcv valve needs full manifold vacuum preferably off the base of carb not a manifold runner. The power brakes can run off a single runner.
A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
Smokey
gtca9014

Post by gtca9014 »

travis wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:12 am I have never seen a PCV tied in with the power brakes. Is this normal for whatever your working on?

Although I have never checked, I always thought the pcv vacuum was considerably less than full manifold vacuum. Are you sucking oil out of the valve cover? How about removing the pcv from the equation and see if that helps?
Im not sure, it was built originally by someone else. I plan to reroute the hoses to eliminate this but was wondering if it was normal as is?
gtca9014

Post by gtca9014 »

Firedome8 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:52 am No the pcv valve needs full manifold vacuum preferably off the base of carb not a manifold runner. The power brakes can run off a single runner.
It is at base of carb, 750 vac secondary Holley, under vacuum secondary diaphragm. The brakes are teed into this port also.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Check the booster diaphragm for a leak.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

How much can you choke off the Carb before the motor stalls?
This test will give a clue if you have a vacuum leak or not.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
hondo383
Pro
Pro

Post by hondo383 »

Oil getting into the chamber?
From warped intake flanges...or cooked rings
gtca9014

Post by gtca9014 »

Don't see any oil on plugs, rings are new. Compression check is 180psi +/- 15psi. I forgot to choke it out before pulling plugs, I will try that this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Try thicker oil, chased a det problem in a highish mileage engine(kinda same since it was ran hot) and all it needed was to go too 10w40. Can't rem if it was just one oil change or a quick 2nd.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

How many degrees of vacuum only advance is set up in the distributor? You mention 16 degrees initial but you mention that when run at 30 degrees with vacuum advance not connected. I am assuming this means there is 14 degrees of mechanical advance in the distributor. So if there is more than 4 degrees of vacuum advance you are seeing over 34 degrees of advance if I am understanding what you have and are describing.
Most vacuum advances I have seen have more than 4 degrees total advance in the unit.
Something here is not working for me?
Am I understanding your description correctly. :?:

Have you checked and verified the TDC timing mark on the damper to see how it corresponds to the piston TDC?
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Neal Arnold

Post by Neal Arnold »

351W with AllPro heads. Didn't Know Bob made Ford heads??
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

Will it ping if you add plenty of vacuum advance, something like 45 degree total timing?
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Can't you just retard the timing until it stops pinging? Sounds like you set the initial timing at 34 degrees. Just set it back to 14.
Joe Facciano
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

Any chance you have a head gasket on backwards and the back of the block is hot?

I'd expect it to overheat, but just tossing ideas around
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s