Exhaust pulses at the crossover connection?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

427dart
Expert
Expert
Exhaust pulses at the crossover connection?

Post by 427dart »

I run the Flowmaster 3 inch merge mid-pipe on my 1985 Mustang LX.
Some years ago I modified it with a chamber floor plate the enables me to switch from "open" which is the flat plate that allows full X or H flow or a "closed" plate which is a 1 inch wide x 2 3/4 x .125 thick steel divider that gives more of the choppy hot rod exhaust note.

Now the Flowmaster merge pipe consist of two 3 inch pipes that touch at the center with a connecting port the gives a modified "H" flow which may act like an X flow crossover.

Anyway I had installed my divider plate a good while back and wanted to swap out to the "open" or flat plate for full crossover flow.
To my surprise when I removed the plate the 1/8th inch thick divider was gone having been broke off just above the weld.

Guess there is some strong pulsation going on from one pipe to the other!

Have used this setup for a good 10 years and first time this has happened. I did do a recent chassis dyno run with it in and when I did run it at the track used the open or flat plate. Nothing found inside merge area and no vibrations of a loose piece of metal in exhaust.

Plate on left showing broken off divider
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Re: Exhaust pulses at the crossover connection?

Post by My427stang »

I could see that happening, especially if it was unsupported on the top. There is going to be some sort of resonance, and all it takes is a small crack to start and then it'd run away.

Did you do this just for sound? or for dyno testing?
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
427dart
Expert
Expert
Re: Exhaust pulses at the crossover connection?

Post by 427dart »

My427stang wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:12 am I could see that happening, especially if it was unsupported on the top. There is going to be some sort of resonance, and all it takes is a small crack to start and then it'd run away.

Did you do this just for sound? or for dyno testing?
Mostly for the sound. With my current exhaust setup which is 3 inch pipe to the round Magnaflow mufflers with 3 inch core and short over axle 2 1/2 pipes that exit just behind rear tire...it sounds like a little side pipe Cobra!
However it does seem to pull harder with the without the divider plate at higher RPM.

Another idea I came up with when you love the classic exhaust sound but want option of the X flow which has a different sound.
With the 427 cube engine I have never run it with open headers and has run 132 MPH thru the 1/4 with this system.