How crooked is too crooked!?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: How crooked is too crooked!?

Post by Newold1 »

Yes if you are going to strictly use thread serts then locking them in with Black Max and then using ARP thread seal on the stud threads will work fine.

Good luck getting everything back together.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
crazy_caseys_customs

Post by crazy_caseys_customs »

Newold1 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:09 pm Yes if you are going to strictly use thread serts then locking them in with Black Max and then using ARP thread seal on the stud threads will work fine.

Good luck getting everything back together.
Black Max 380 or 480? I’m going to look more into this...

I asked the shop that quoted me the repair, just for kicks, and they said they use Loctite Red thread locker, regardless of whether it’s dry, oil, or water. They just said it had to be totally clean and dry when it goes in, and you must allow adequate cure time.

Thanks again.
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

Try spot facing in the mill. I'll take a bet that will work. Screw the stud in but don't bottom. Can you wiggle back and forth....probably. Not a big deal.
For shits and giggles dial indicate the troubled one and compare to a good one. Got to be on a mill for this.
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

Another thing, make sure the hole drilled and tapped deep enough.
crazy_caseys_customs

Somebody made a comment about a stud with a 1/2”-13 base thread. I just checked Summit, and ARP also makes these for ~$90/set. Would switching to 1/2”-13 base threads be preferable to a timesert and staying with the 7/16”-14? It would save me having to buy two different timesert sets, and I could resell my rocker studs.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

That sounds doable and a good solution if the stud bosses have enough material for strength -but thread serts for 7/16" use more base metal too -so? You just need to make sure the tops of those bases are even straight and level.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
crazy_caseys_customs

Newold1 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:35 pm That sounds doable and a good solution if the stud bosses have enough material for strength -but thread serts for 7/16" use more base metal too -so? You just need to make sure the tops of those bases are even straight and level.
The wrench in that plan is that I’ll have to enlarge the holes in my guide plates (hardened) which will be a total pain in the rear..

The 7/16”-14 Big Sert which I will have to use to repair the crooked Helicoiled holes, if I stay at 7/16”-14 takes a 37/64” drill, where as the 1/2”-13 Timesert which should be able to fix that same hole, only uses a 33/64” drill, so, guidplates aside, the 1/2”-13 route leaves the heads the strongest, FWIW...
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I would try and tap them straight first...what do you have to lose? Worst case it don't turn out you are fixing the holes with inserts anyway.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

crazy_caseys_customs wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:59 pm
Newold1 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:35 pm That sounds doable and a good solution if the stud bosses have enough material for strength -but thread serts for 7/16" use more base metal too -so? You just need to make sure the tops of those bases are even straight and level.
The wrench in that plan is that I’ll have to enlarge the holes in my guide plates (hardened) which will be a total pain in the rear..

The 7/16”-14 Big Sert which I will have to use to repair the crooked Helicoiled holes, if I stay at 7/16”-14 takes a 37/64” drill, where as the 1/2”-13 Timesert which should be able to fix that same hole, only uses a 33/64” drill, so, guidplates aside, the 1/2”-13 route leaves the heads the strongest, FWIW...
To drill out the guide plates clamp the guide plate in a vice for a heat sink and spot anneal the guide plate holes, only the slots need to be hard.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Any chance a ball pivot rocker like a comp cams magnum would cheat it into place?
crazy_caseys_customs

JodyB wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:18 pm Any chance a ball pivot rocker like a comp cams magnum would cheat it into place?
You hit the nail on the head. I think I’ll let somebody else have that fun though (with full disclosure of course).
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I would go with the time sert for the alignment correction. That way the setup can be consistent based on what the head needs and the material thickness you have to work with.
Some of those heads have the hole off set towards the edge of the stud boss and that makes it hard to use a 1/2" stud into the boss without maybe getting to the edge of the boss making a weak area.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors