Pan evac with factory manifolds

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Racing68
Pro
Pro
Pan evac with factory manifolds

Post by Racing68 »

I'm getting ready to start a pull truck project for a customer where he has to use factory intake and exhaust manifolds. Has anyone successfully used a pan evac system using factory exhaust manifolds and a bullet style muffler that must exit behind the cab.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Pan evac with factory manifolds

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Too much back pressure with the factory exhaust manifolds, pan evacuation system will not work efficiently (nor at all).
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Evac u pans work fine with stock manifolds, you fit the vac spike/valve in the pipe at least 12+" downstream of the manifold flange.
I have done it, i didnt think it would work very well but it works perfectly fine.
A very restrictive system 'downstream' of the vac spike will however reduce effectivness depending on level of restriction.
On another note, on a BBC with 4into 1 pipes , 3 inch dual system to rear if car and using 3"ultraflow mufflers that vac u pans still work
Craig.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I've been pondering such a system for my in-progress 495" BBC with 3.5" pipes and 40 Series FlowMasters Craig. What range of vacuum are you seeing?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

MadBill wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:56 pm I've been pondering such a system for my in-progress 495" BBC with 3.5" pipes and 40 Series FlowMasters Craig. What range of vacuum are you seeing?
Bill, the best i could get out of the BBC with full system was 2.5"hg BUT that was NOT a fresh engine, this was a going car that had been used for drag only and I had converted it over to use as a streeter as well. I definetly would have seen more with a fresh engine.
With stock manifolds on a 460" BBF using aprox 40" of pipe off of the manifolds, the 1st 10" being 2.5" then the rest 3" it saw just under 7.5"hg
Craig.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I never measured what my Nova was pulling, it had headers and full exhaust with Dyno Max straight through muffs but it pulled enough to keep the rear main form leaking at rpm... SBC nitrous engine.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
stokerboats
Pro
Pro

Post by stokerboats »

Would an X pipe help scavenge in this application?
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

stokerboats wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:43 pm Would an X pipe help scavenge in this application?
If the csa thru the x is not too small then it wont hurt but isn't going to help either. Then again , most things are worth a try to prove!
Craig.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

stokerboats wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:43 pm Would an X pipe help scavenge in this application?
I ran mine with straight and x I wish I had measured both, I think you could maximize it's effect by finding a way to pull or blow air through the header or piece of pipe the tube it is going in and use a manometer to find the best angle before welding.

I had clear hose on mine up by the engine so you could see it move moister as the engine warmed up and the drivers side clearly worked better until I re positioned the pass side.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Racing68
Pro
Pro

Post by Racing68 »

cjperformance wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:20 pm Evac u pans work fine with stock manifolds, you fit the vac spike/valve in the pipe at least 12+" downstream of the manifold flange.
I have done it, i didnt think it would work very well but it works perfectly fine.
A very restrictive system 'downstream' of the vac spike will however reduce effectivness depending on level of restriction.
On another note, on a BBC with 4into 1 pipes , 3 inch dual system to rear if car and using 3"ultraflow mufflers that vac u pans still work
This is exactly what i wanted to know, thank you.