Pulling truck engine "again" BBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

randy331
Guru
Guru

Re: Pulling truck engine "again" BBC

Post by randy331 »

Bill, your results aren't surprising at all.
The cfm gain,...
The power,...
Or that they didn't stay in there,..lol

But,... I guess what I'm asking is,.. if you could simulate the 1300*,.. 100+ psi,... pulse flow,.. on a flow bench would the ex ports look different than one developed completely on a standard flow bench ?

Randy
Last edited by randy331 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

My guess is there would be subtle but consequential optimum dimensional differences for the up to ~100X actual vs. bench exhaust pressures and perhaps for temps but not for pulses. :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Not sure anyone is still interested in this old thread, but ,..finally got this 462 cube pullin truck engine on the dyno.
Not a bad day and it made about what I thought it would. A little short on TQ from what I wanted.
Average power from 6000-8000 rpm is 726 HP.
Still making 740 HP at 8000 rpm.
If his truck works good it should pull good.
He's wantin to go Big bore short stroke between this year and next season.
How much more power would a 4.560 bore by 3.625 stroke engine make with this same heads, cam, intake etc on it ?
Below is a couple of the pulls we made.
IMG_4096.jpg
Randy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

Any ideas on the reason for the dip just before peak? I had the same type of dip recently.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

treyrags wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:55 pm Any ideas on the reason for the dip just before peak? I had the same type of dip recently.
I have ideas, but no evidence.
I'll look at the data again, but I think it was there with both sets of headers we ran.

Randy
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

Nice numbers, especially for stock heads, dose the guy know how to drive it or is he the floor it and forget it type
Tom
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

They been around the pullin truck world some.
Think he'll do ok drivin, but not sure about the others that will end up in the driver seat. LOL

Randy
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

randy331 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:40 pm
treyrags wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:55 pm Any ideas on the reason for the dip just before peak? I had the same type of dip recently.
I have ideas, but no evidence.
I'll look at the data again, but I think it was there with both sets of headers we ran.

Randy
Was the dip present with both the 454R intake and the Sniper? Or did you just use the 454R??
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

paulzig wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:00 pm Was the dip present with both the 454R intake and the Sniper? Or did you just use the 454R??
Didn't get to try both.
It's liking a header bigger than one would expect from the power level.
Likely related to that.
Need to study the data more, but at this point it needs to get in the truck and go pull.

If it don't ventilate the block by the end of the season,... it sounds like a 4.50+ bore 473 cube short block will replace it for next season.
That should help.

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Q16 question for those running it. How many use an additive or treatment ?
We did 4-5 breakin pulls on late model plus cause that's what joe had in the fuel cell when we got there, then we switched to Q16.
Back to back the Q16 was 10 HP better on average HP through the pull. We finished the day out on a new un-opened 5 gallon jug we brought. Then at the end of the day we changed it out to some 1 year old Q16 that had been treated when opened. I think it's a Lucus treatment. It made same power as the new Q16. Does anyone else have any test with Q16 with/without treatment, or with new vs old without having been treated.
Joe said some of his pro stock customers buy a new 5 for every pull, but I'm hoping to avoid that. LOL
With us seeing Q16 being steadily worth 8-18 ish HP, and pulling trucks needing all the power we can find, it's hard to turn down that power.
90% of the competitive trucks are runnign Q16.

Randy
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

randy331 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:42 pm Q16 question for those running it. How many use an additive or treatment ?
We did 4-5 breakin pulls on late model plus cause that's what joe had in the fuel cell when we got there, then we switched to Q16.
Back to back the Q16 was 10 HP better on average HP through the pull. We finished the day out on a new un-opened 5 gallon jug we brought. Then at the end of the day we changed it out to some 1 year old Q16 that had been treated when opened. I think it's a Lucus treatment. It made same power as the new Q16. Does anyone else have any test with Q16 with/without treatment, or with new vs old without having been treated.
Joe said some of his pro stock customers buy a new 5 for every pull, but I'm hoping to avoid that. LOL
With us seeing Q16 being steadily worth 8-18 ish HP, and pulling trucks needing all the power we can find, it's hard to turn down that power.
90% of the competitive trucks are runnign Q16.

Randy
You may already know and I am not sure if it makes a difference but there are 2 Q16's and 2 VP 113's the standard ones are oxygenated with Ethanol based ETBE and the ones marked Q16-REG VP113-REG are Oxygenated with Methanol based MTBE.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

Randy
[/quote]
You may already know and I am not sure if it makes a difference but there are 2 Q16's and 2 VP 113's the standard ones are oxygenated with Ethanol based ETBE and the ones marked Q16-REG VP113-REG are Oxygenated with Methanol based MTBE.
[/quote]

Morning, The reason for the 2 different formulas is because MTBE is illegal in some states and has been for some time. VP changed
the designation of their fuels and got away with it until about 2-3 yrs ago. Hence they had to come up with a different additive for
109,113,Q16 ect.

Tom
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

leahymtsps wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:56 am Randy
[/quote]

Morning, The reason for the 2 different formulas is because MTBE is illegal in some states and has been for some time. VP changed
the designation of their fuels and got away with it until about 2-3 yrs ago. Hence they had to come up with a different additive for
109,113,Q16 ect.

Tom
[/quote]

Yes, I just thought I would put it out there, I have been selling VP in Texas for several years now where it is legal but was not aware that they offer the option, some guys have had issues with Q and injected vehicles due to the ETBE.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Rules say, no alcohol based fuels.
We are running MTBE Q16.

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Looking forward to the 2020 season, it looks like this guy is gonna have me do a new short block for this pullin truck. It will be a new aftermarket block in a bigger bore shorter stroke. I'm thinking 3.625 stroke and a custom piston with enough bore to get it to the 473 cube limit.

It will have custom dome to get compression up more, gas ports, thinner rings maybe 1 mm 1mm 2mm, etc.
It's currently 462 cube with 4.280 bore 4" stroke.

What kinda power improvement could one expect with a nice new big bore short stroke short block, with the same cam, heads, intake etc on it ?
More comp, 11 more cubes, etc.

Randy