EFI injector kill on decel

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

EFI injector kill on decel

Post by induction apprentice »

Anyone have any experiance with piston ring or cylinder bore wear / effects long term. Running decel injector kill option with EFI system on the street or road race application?

Any thoughts welcome.
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Re: EFI injector kill on decel

Post by My427stang »

I can't answer your question directly, but I have been running mine for 8 years with decel fuel shut off on a 489 FE. It hasn't been apart, so no idea on wear, but no noticeable negatives, and sounds MUCH better when it isn't loading up the exhaust

I believe the reason for fuel during decel is to keep the catalytic converters up to temp in an emissions engine, with no cats, no need for that fuel
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

It's been done since the carburetor age, cut idle fuel above a certain rpm for engine braking and economy.
In a lot of cases in the 80's nobody really noticed, but the idle solenoid was controlled by a primitive computer and they could do that, so.... they did.
As far as I know, no problem
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

4-stroke engine? All OEM-efi systems shut off fuel at decel, except some lately which want to keep cat warm.

You got it backwards, givin fuel at decel which won't burn in cylinder will flush away oil film and accelerate wear, without fuel things are as good as they could be. Some like smoother transition from fuel cut to light throttle from not cutting fuel at decel but with one-throttle blade systems that transition is silky smooth with fuelcut too.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

X2
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

naukkis79 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:20 am 4-stroke engine? All OEM-efi systems shut off fuel at decel, except some lately which want to keep cat warm.

You got it backwards, givin fuel at decel which won't burn in cylinder will flush away oil film and accelerate wear, without fuel things are as good as they could be. Some like smoother transition from fuel cut to light throttle from not cutting fuel at decel but with one-throttle blade systems that transition is silky smooth with fuelcut too.
Why would a small amount of air fuel in the cylinder on decel not burn?
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Probably only if it was deliberately very rich for the cooling effect