Ford six. Very cool!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Re: Ford six. Very cool!

Post by Truckedup »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:42 pm If someone really wants to run a 6 cylinder, the DOHC engine that came in some Chevrolet trucks might be worth looking into.
Perhaps a Jaguar DOHC, some Jaguar engines had very nice lower-end parts.
The 6 cylinder DOHC Atlas engine from the GM Trailblazer is popular for guys liking inline engines.They are reasonably priced in salvage yards..350 HP for street use is not hard to do...Jag engine are just beautiful old school wide valve angle DOHC's...And expensive to buy and build..
At the dirt tracks around here, back when, GMC 302 inline 6's were very competitive against V8's for the same reasons two cylinder bike is better that a 4 cylinder on dirt...less power pulses give more time for tire grip...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Xnke
Pro
Pro

Post by Xnke »

Tuner wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:30 pm
pamotorman wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:13 pm there was a dirt track modified that raced near here using the 6 cylinder ford engine that whipped up on the chevy V-8s pretty regularly.
I remember an article 35-40 years ago in "Stock Car Racing" or "Circle Track" about a guy (I think ASA in Wisconsin, but ?) who was successful in making power with a 300 Ford Six but the bottom end wouldn't hold together, the forged steel truck cranks he was using would crack. When he finally ran out of forged steel cranks he used a cast iron crank and had no more failures (at the time of the article). The opinion was the cast crank was easier to make with the counterweights in more ideal locations, the castings could have more strategically located counterweights.

In the early '70s I tuned some 500 2bbls on a 300 Ford for a drag racing deal that the flywheel came loose in just a few passes, time after time, better bolts, lock tabs, nothing would keep it tight. The guy finally tack welded the flywheel bolts and it still came loose. Another was '70 240Z Datsun that after it got the cam and headers treatment when the RPM went north of 8000 a few times the flywheel would get loose and start clunking. The '70 240Z crank has no counterweights at all, same as a 4bbl. Pontiac OHC 6, just bearing journals. The 1bb. OHC Pontiac crank has counterweights. As I recall you can tell a 6 cyl. OHC Pontiac crank from other GM 230 and 250 sixes because it has scallops in the counterweights to clear the block where the accessory drive housing mounts for the distributor, fuel pump and oil pump.
There are no non-counterweighted 240Z cranks. They all have counterweights. I have 2 70's, a 69, and MANY 71-84 cranks for these engines.

The vibration problems are not due to the counterweighting of the crank, they are due to the flywheel and damper masses being significantly different. You wanna wind up a sixer, that's your fix-get the flywheel as light and as small a diameter as possible, and get the front damper as close to the same size and weight as the flywheel. Use a good quality elastomer damper and it will need to be custom made for your application.

Source? I run the old datsun inline sixes to 8500+RPM for drag and land speed record runs. You will run into the problems you mention-and some more. Like the damper bolt that holds the damper in place-you need a bigger, stronger, longer one. Make sure you don't torque up on the nose of the crank, that the damper bolt clamps the damper in place-it's not the crankshaft keys that are holding the damper in place, it's the bolt torque and face friction ONLY. Those keys (on any engine I've ever worked on, actually-not just 6's...) have zero ability to handle the torque of that damper spinning.

Next, the damper needs to be a press fit onto the crank. Not much of a press fit in most applications, but if it just slips on there it's not gonna do the job. It'll get loose and cause just as much havoc as the loose flywheel.

The flywheel bolts need the same work that the damper bolt needs. Bigger, stronger, longer. Loctite will only get you so far if you can't get the torsional vibration down by reducing the flywheel diameter and getting the damper diameter up.

Lots of "It shook the flywheel bolts out, gotta be a balancing problem" myths out there. It's a torsional vibration problem caused by the long crankshaft twisting along it's length, and the front damper and rear flywheel trying to play catch-up and overshooting each other. The cure is lightness and symmetry.

As to the 300-6, that's my other race engine...if he was breaking steel truck cranks and not cast iron cranks, well...he's got exactly the opposite problem of every other 300-6 racer out there. The cast cranks will crack in the main radius area at about 600HP on the 5 and 6 mains, you guessed it...torsional vibration problems. I've only broken one through the throw area, that's when I switched to the old steel cranks and the problems stopped. I also have my steel cranks welded up to BBC rod journals and run BBC rods, but that's because I'm a cheap whippersnapper who doesn't want to buy 6 custom rods when I could run off-the-shelf rods and 1 custom crank instead.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

When I was in college in the '70s, our car club at the school built a 64 Falcon with the big 6 to run H modified. Someone fabricated a sheet metal tunnel ram and it had a pair of 750 carbs on top. I remember discussions about changing to the longer rods as a means of keeping up with the index, but Sizemoore had more money and we could never get it competitive. I wouldn't be surprised if the car still exists, it belonged to the Linn-Benton Community College RPM club in Albany OR.

Benton Community College
So much to do, so little time...
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Did any of you scroll down a little on the video of the big 6 and check out the kaase Mel engine master video when they pulled the head off the engine there where some really suprise expression on faces of his competitors,and when Kaase he told them that the steel spacer was a head gasket they really looked shocked.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Bruce ran the "6 piece" head in the Pinto. Don Hardy purpose built a ''modified legal" ( square tubing)virtual pro stock Pinto especially for Bruce . It has a DNE 5 speed and is currently in "as last raced" condition . Bruce is planning a full restoration and upgrade to current NHRA specs. Now retired Bruce does things at his own pace so it may be a while before it races again BUT IT WILL according to Bruce. His current projects are aftermarket "performance improved" Ford 6 cylinder heads for trucks and off roaders seeking more power and durability. I August he attended the Cobra Jet reunion at Norwalk raceway in Ohio as a featured speaker about his days and accomplishments ( many) at Ford. He was a KEY player in the drag race program and made several otherwise impossible things happen.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Very cool. Would be fun to sit and chat him for 1hr or two I'm betting!!
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Seemed to me in the old Ford Off Highway Parts book there was a write-up on Bruce's Preparation-H Maverick. It must of been the first part of a continual development.
I recall him warning not to use a steel flywheel, otherwise the bolts wouldn't stay torqued.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
volodkovich

Post by volodkovich »

Anyone got any info or insight into the furnace brazing process when creating heads like this?
WhitleyTune - Bespoke Camshaft, Valvetrain & Aluminium casting
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Fairly fast turbo 292 Chevy 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7rCGda4Ab8
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

volodkovich wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:39 pm Anyone got any info or insight into the furnace brazing process when creating heads like this?
It was done in MI. Next time I talk to Bruce I'll ask who did it for him.
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

Did you ever get a chance to ask Bruce about that?
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

I saw that altered making shake down passes at union hill 1/8 mile track in goodlettsville TN in the mid 80s. Got an up close look at it in the pits. It had a 6-into-1 collector & had a other-worldy sound. If im not mistaken i believe he went on to set national records in class racing.
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

volodkovich wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:39 pm Anyone got any info or insight into the furnace brazing process when creating heads like this?
Maeroa Automotive in Hamilton were experts at furnace brazing - -
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

http://www.locknstitch.com/index.html This place does furnace brazing it’s expensive, but they have been doing it for 50 plus years.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Xnke wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:55 am
Tuner wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:30 pm
Another was '70 240Z Datsun that after it got the cam and headers treatment when the RPM went north of 8000 a few times the flywheel would get loose and start clunking. The '70 240Z crank has no counterweights at all, same as a 4bbl. Pontiac OHC 6, just bearing journals.
There are no non-counterweighted 240Z cranks. They all have counterweights. I have 2 70's, a 69, and MANY 71-84 cranks for these engines.

Maybe not "no counterweights", but the very early production L24s had fewer counterweights.

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/EarlyCrank.htm