Non vortec 454 tbi heads question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Non vortec 454 tbi heads question

Post by Orr89rocz »

Anyone have experience with the early 90’s truck tbi big block 454 heads?
Working on tuning a 95 k3500 with the 454. Its got a comp 218/224 cam and carb dual plane with adapter to use stock tbi unit.

In a tow application what would expect wide open throttle timing to be? GM timing table seems to be around 22-24 deg max give or take in the 3600-5000 rpm range. It seems way low for a big block head but i dont have any experience with these heads. Kinda seems low for safety in a towing application.

Right now truck is on mid grade pump gas and i tried dialing in more timing but at 25 deg and 3600-4300 ish rpm it tickled the knock sensor which i am not sure if false knock or real. Surprised me, so just curious as to what these heads do for wot timing and max power. Not putting it on a dyno or track testing lol. If it would fit on dyno i would run it
stangbuilder
Re: Non vortec 454 tbi heads question

Post by stangbuilder »

Sorry don't have a answer for you. I have owned 3 of the trucks with the engine you describe.. Have only one word TURD.
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Re: Non vortec 454 tbi heads question

Post by gnicholson »

mark at vortec pro has alot of experience with peanut port heads. personally, i would find a pair of 96 and later l29 vortec castings for a tow vehicle