Aluminum head repair

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Racer18
Pro
Pro

Aluminum head repair

Post by Racer18 »

Is there ANYONE out there that can repair (weld) aluminum cylinder heads reliably? I have tried 3 different places, and am not getting quality repairs! Latest took 7 weeks to weld up 1 chamber and intake runner, comes back leaking water in the exhaust port. They swear they pressure tested them, but it leaks just filling the block on the dyno. I am Located in the midwest, not looking for cheap, just need good reliable repairs, preferably from a shop familiar with race heads.
houser45
Pro
Pro
Re: Aluminum head repair

Post by houser45 »

Brodix
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

The problem is usually the head going soft and the seats moving
GURU is only a name.
Adam
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

af2 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:13 pm The problem is usually the head going soft and the seats moving
That and castings change dimensionally with extensive welding. Sent a BBC head back to Dart for repair and "cold treat". After spending big bucks my customer couldn't get it to drop over the dowels.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Always depends on how bad and extensive the damage is and what the cylinder head is.

If it's properly heated and welded by a proven head repair person it is done all the time.

Check with either BES Racing Engines in Gilman or Steve Schmidt Racing in Indy.

One will point you to a good knowledgeable welder who knows how if the head is salvageable.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

Newold1 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:02 pm Always depends on how bad and extensive the damage is and what the cylinder head is.

If it's properly heated and welded by a proven head repair person it is done all the time.

Check with either BES Racing Engines in Gilman or Steve Schmidt Racing in Indy.

One will point you to a good knowledgeable welder who knows how if the head is salvageable.
Depending on casting and the amounting paperwork done, it may be more feasible to find another casting. I have had heads reheat treated and a local foundry after welding only because there was so much welding and there were no chasing down another casting for an option. Some repairs can be thousands.

Some companies like mentioned uses epoxy to fix water jackets.. After that, the casting is no longer repairable in my book.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

houser45 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:52 pmBrodix
But they will only do their own heads.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

The best aluminum cylinder head repair guy I know is Headwerks in Bloomington, MN. He has repaired several aluminum heads and they have worked great.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

I can, do it all the time, but I'm kinda thousands of miles away!

I've repaired stuff the customer was sure was a total write off, rebuilt chambers, cut large chunks out to chase out cracks etc.
volodkovich

Post by volodkovich »

At what point does a welded head need re heat treating? I've seen you peen the head face TK, have you ever had to get them re hardened?
WhitleyTune - Bespoke Camshaft, Valvetrain & Aluminium casting
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

I reckon if they're soft they're dead, I've had heads re heat treated with only ok results in the past, by the time you remove all the seats, guides, thread inserts etc to have them heat treated then replace all that stuff & re-machine everything its more economical to replace the head - unless it's a rare vintage casting or something.

The trick is to weld fast (lots of amps, pour the metal in) & let it cool periodically if it's a big weld job, then peen the bejesus out of the welds while it's still hot to stress relieve & work harden.
That & never, ever cover a problem by pumping metal into crap to try to float it out, you'll end up with a porous weld.
EchoWars

Post by EchoWars »

Talk to Noland's Cylinder Head Service in Kansas City.

https://www.facebook.com/nolandscylhead/
Brian W
Pro
Pro

Post by Brian W »

Central Kansas here... I probably weld 20-30 sets a year. Lots of little tricks to doing a quality repair.
gowest

Post by gowest »

Marcella manifolds shows cylinderhead repair pics on their website.