General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

governor
Expert
Expert

GM SBC fast burn feedback

Post by governor »

Fellow Speed Talk member's

Looking for feedback on the fast burn alum heads. What is max efficient rpm for pavement short track that some have seen. I know they work well on the 604 crate with hyd roller cam. I have never used them but can acquire a pr for a very reasonable price, looking at putting them on a small cubic
inch short stroke (3.250) motor for use in a pavement mod. Would be a solid roller build.

I recently read a statement from Brzezinski that they are efficient as is and porting is really not beneficial.

Your feedback here or in PM would be appreciated.

Governor
a passion for racing
tcb3274
Re: GM SBC fast burn feedback

Post by tcb3274 »

What will the application be used for?
governor
Expert
Expert

Post by governor »

As I stated in my post ( short stroke (3.250) motor for use in a pavement mod ) 330 cubic inch

Governor
a passion for racing
tcb3274

Post by tcb3274 »

governor wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:31 pm As I stated in my post ( short stroke (3.250) motor for use in a pavement mod ) 330 cubic inch

Governor
I saw that. I don't know what a pavement mod is.
governor
Expert
Expert

Post by governor »

circle track race car that weighs 2450 lbs using a 9" threaded tire

Gov
a passion for racing
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Those are a surprisingly good running head.
But porting is certainly a plus on them. Not sure how those ideas get started.

They aren't 210 cc like GM says. Everyone I've had are 200cc.

Randy
tcb3274

Post by tcb3274 »

They should run well for you!
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

Governor,
The Brzezinski claim regarding porting is in reference to the head as it is used on the 604 platform; use of that head on other applications will benefit from porting(as Randy said). Even the 604 will benefit from a cleaned up valve job as the factory is sometimes sloppy. There are specifications for the valve job in 604 applications that need not be adhered to when using them on other platforms. They should work well on a 320.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I am going to make this recommendation again! About the tenth or so time!

For all of those who are not specialty head shops or experts and even sometimes for those who are. There is a wonderful data reference guide on the internet called "Stan Weiss Cylinder Head Data" where the data for flow numbers on just about every stock and modified by many cylinder heads is available for study and consideration. No one should be saying this is the last word in data but it's FREE, Informative and a great resource for quickly looking at various heads and different ported and cnc'd versions of most all cylinder heads and will really in many cases help you with making general performance decisions on which cylinder head does what and how they compare with one another. If you have not availed yourself of this wonderful resource, put it on your favorites pages and use it with great success and comfort. JMHO :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink: