Fuel filter coin size mesh

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Fuel filter coin size mesh

Post by BOOT »

Anyone have issues with the small alum supposedly high flow fuel filters with the 40 micron coin size SS mesh screen? I've ran a couple filters of this type AN or hose clamps for mild combos with a carb(mounted after the pump and just before the regulator). Anyways pulled my carb apart and the bottom of the bowls were covered in what looks like little specs of rust(no steel line/fittings after filter only line that is good for e10 fuels). Stuff wipes off like nothing so it's not the fuel eating the alum bowls(or any part in them I looked)and they aren't pitted or anything, nice and smooth & shiny, no rust on the hinge and has plastic floats. Still that stuff is about the size to cause issue with the emulsion bleeds I'm running. Additional info is tank has a bladder but some steel lines before the pump.

Now I've cleaned the filter a few times w/o noticing anything really in it and last time it was kinda pushed out in the direction of flow. It's a block mounted mechanical pump and I switch pumps to a 110gph and not ran it much because of another issue. I'm just wondering if the pump was too much for the filter and stretched the wire mesh pushing thru any debry the filter should of caught.

I've already bought a larger cartridge style 10 micron filter to try.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: Fuel filter coin size mesh

Post by midnightbluS10 »

40 microns is only like .00157". I've also heard that anything under 30-40 microns is invisible to the naked eye. Anybody know/experienced anything different?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Fuel filter coin size mesh

Post by BOOT »

Yup and the stuff in the bowls is larger than that so it must be damaged. The cost vs size and fuel type compatible of filter I selected had a 10 or 100 micron option, otherwise I'd of gone 40 again.

edit: Well unless smaller particles decided to fuse together once past the filter and in the bowls.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!