80-100k 550 hp

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

peejay
Guru
Guru
Re: 80-100k 550 hp

Post by peejay »

Geoff2 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:42 am If I try & buy NGK Iridium plugs from Summit for $8, it proceeds ok to check out & then comes up with a message, NGK plugs only sold in the US. So I suppose that makes it legal theft....
It's probably a sales rights thing.

I had been hoping to take advantage of the weakening Pound to buy some stuff from Demon Tweeks and have it shipped over. A lot of my friends have done this and the shipping costs are not excessive and you get to select some things that are just not marketed in the US. Now, if I try to go to demon-tweeks.co.uk, they "helpfully" divert me to their US site, which does not have the same range of product!

Quaife also will not sell some product in the US because of rights reasons. If you want anything for a Mazda for example, you must buy it through Mazdaspeed. All fine and good, except Mazdaspeed does not sell to just anybody, you must register your vehicle with them and show proof of competition (two race results) every year, and then you are only allowed to buy parts for your specific model.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

It’s just the opposite of a conga line. That’s what NASCAR wants to get away from.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 627174002/
CONCORD, N.C. — After an unusually entertaining Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race Saturday night, many fans left Charlotte Motor Speedway bubbling with excitement.

A new competition package produced tight racing and daring driving. Even though the usual suspect — Kevin Harvick — won the race, there was an interesting mix of competition throughout the evening and an air of uncertainty about what might happen from one lap to the next.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

I have been an ALL-IN NASCAR FAN since appx. 1974 , i love the sport but it is obvious that things in general do not look so good. Don't know if anybody knows for sure what the answers are to the down turn of fan attendance ? Here is my 2 cents, look back at the way things were done when droves were coming to fill ALL the seats ??? If some of the answers are not found there, i don't know what to think ? :? Mark H.
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

It seems to me as a 67 year old Motorsports Fan who has loved all forms of racing, i believe unfortunately that

fan involvement has been fading for years. I moved back to NJ 4 years ago from Fla. and though there are

a heck of a lot of involved people here competitors etc.most of them are middle aged or older and interest of the general population in

motorsport is minimal.

The obvious causes to me are too many other things which compete with motorsport for ones time from me watching and typing on this laptop to

my grandkids watching animal videos on you tube etc.

But the sanctioning bodies dont help either to wit : Making F1 cars hybrid electric whatevers and last year having to add exhaust noise because

the cars are too quiet .

NASCAR is one of the worst offenders, the France family using the Death of DE to build the cookie cutter COT vehicles thereby

hastening fan disinterest and then taking the Toyota bribery to allow them to build their hybrid FOCHRYCHEV V8 .

I really dont see a solution here the prospective fans born in this century will be willing to accept driverless cars so they can spend time

on their phones playing fortnite.

Or even telecommuting from their city condo which has all their service providers on the lower floors and amazon or others delivering their

purchases by Drone.

It'll be Weird . but I really cant conceive of a solution except for KEEPIN THE HAMMER DOWN!!

I apologize in advance for the rant!!

Dave B.
LIGHT 'EM UP
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

grandsport51 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:28 am It seems to me as a 67 year old Motorsports Fan who has loved all forms of racing, i believe unfortunately that

fan involvement has been fading for years. I moved back to NJ 4 years ago from Fla. and though there are

a heck of a lot of involved people here competitors etc.most of them are middle aged or older and interest of the general population in

motorsport is minimal.

The obvious causes to me are too many other things which compete with motorsport for ones time from me watching and typing on this laptop to

But the sanctioning bodies dont help either to wit : Making F1 cars hybrid electric whatevers and last year having to add exhaust noise because

the cars are too quiet .

NASCAR is one of the worst offenders, the France family using the Death of DE to build the cookie cutter COT vehicles thereby

hastening fan disinterest and then taking the Toyota bribery to allow them to build their hybrid FOCHRYCHEV V8 .

I really dont see a solution here the prospective fans born in this century will be willing to accept driverless cars so they can spend time

Or even telecommuting from their city condo which has all their service providers on the lower floors and amazon or others delivering their

purchases by Drone.

It'll be Weird . but I really cant conceive of a solution except for KEEPIN THE HAMMER DOWN!!

Dave B.
Well put!!!
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

X-2 for G.S.51 Sadly nothing last forever, except............well it's NOT of this world. Mark H :wink:
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I am with you Dave B. Let'em rip!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

peejay wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:51 am Reducing the power so that every track is a WOT conga line is not very interesting.

If you want to make it interesting, go with narrower, treaded tires, so that the drivers have to nagivate the course instead of just the traffic!
Yes , may as well be a procession of car shaped floats like our v8 racers, at least ours v8's turn both ways but yeah boring.
Mor power, less grip, less aero aids makes racing way more fun to watch !
Craig.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Geoff2 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:42 am If I try & buy NGK Iridium plugs from Summit for $8, it proceeds ok to check out & then comes up with a message, NGK plugs only sold in the US. So I suppose that makes it legal theft....
I have a friend or 2 around the world.....so from time to time there are the "hey, can I ship this to you and you forward to me" calls. Motec stuff in Oz used to be about 1/2 the US price then that favor was called in when an engine showed up needed to be created and dropped at the port.

You can save a ton of money this way on some stuff.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Be a bit careful about saying things like this on the net. The walls have ears and we don't need any of our good contributors here explaining themselves to a bunch of government head hunters! Loose lips sink ships!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Not paying your taxes is illegal, but shopping around to find the best price on anything is just good business. Markets can be very regional with companies pricing goods at what the local market will bare. I think all the companies I've worked for in the past 30 years had regional pricing strategies....sometimes like with motec there would be massive differences.... $100 in one place but $400 in another.

Heck driving to the homedepot 11 miles but 25 minutes from my house instead of the one 15 miles but 20 minutes sometimes saves me over 10%....things are hopping to the south but depressed to the north and prices reflect that. It pays to look around.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

grandsport51 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:28 am It seems to me as a 67 year old Motorsports Fan who has loved all forms of racing, i believe unfortunately that

motorsport is minimal.

the cars are too quiet .

purchases by Drone.

Dave B.
I am 62 and still drag race 6 to 10 times a year, and this weekend we were talking about the lack of spectators and the general abundance of gray hair among those racing. Our nss group was paid to match race with a nostalgia and bracket race to try and draw some spectators to the track, not a big success in turn out. Plenty of cars but no spectators. But then this year I raced at an event that had promods and 10.5 outlaw cars and it was packed both cars and spectators. This weekend they had a filming of a street outlaws segment and it drew 3,000 people to an abandoned air strip, no bleachers, etc. I think its just that racing has to compete with a lot of other things for peoples time and money. As far as headers go, I could never afford to purchase a custom set, I just learned to build my own, Pipemax program is great for sizing. I am old fashioned but I still Oxy acetylene weld them except for the flanges. I have built sets for others but usually it is more of a favor deal than trying to make money. Plus is I can get my starter off and change plugs without skinned knuckles and cussing.
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

Sorry still OFF TOPIC but to amplify my earlier

Rant NHRA corporately plan basically depends on

National Meets and when I was down in FLA. for 13

Years the Gator Nats were well attended but the

Local events at Orlando Speedworld less so except

When they had the all Import competitions especially

The so called international competition USA vs

PUERTO RICO!!

Back home in NJ the Napp family have closed

Raceway park to Drag Racing and my local track

At ATCO is poorly attended.

But next year I’m going to try to do my part

And get my Grandson in a Jr. Dragster as my

Personal commitment to Stem the Tide!!

Wish Me Luck!!

Dave B.
LIGHT 'EM UP
tchapps88

Post by tchapps88 »

It use to be you could watch nascar on tv, now you can watch it on computer and phone also and watch it later without going through the effort of struggling to record it on a vcr, so access to watching it has not helped. Combined with people today dont want to sit in grandstands for hours. Main killer is that the money being pumped in by alcohol and tobacco is not there, i remember as i kid the amount of free stuff handed out was insane, its like you made money going to the races, last time i went in 2013 i dont think i came home with much. Toyota and COT started the death, the 2008 brickyard 400 was seen as the race that layed them in the coffin, and constantly changing the points and adding stages nailed the coffin.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

cjperformance wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:45 pm
peejay wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:51 am Reducing the power so that every track is a WOT conga line is not very interesting.

If you want to make it interesting, go with narrower, treaded tires, so that the drivers have to nagivate the course instead of just the traffic!
Yes , may as well be a procession of car shaped floats like our v8 racers, at least ours v8's turn both ways but yeah boring.
Mor power, less grip, less aero aids makes racing way more fun to watch !
One of the newer motorsports that gets people excited is stadium truck racing... on road courses.

It's absolutely ridiculous fun to watch, even if it's a conga line with no passing, just because the vehicles are moving around so much.