Cooling system pressure tested

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

peejay
Guru
Guru
Re: Cooling system pressure tested

Post by peejay »

Cubic_Cleveland wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:06 pmGood to see it’s sorted! Curious to know what you’re measuring the water pressure with?

Just a MAC brand 0-400psi oil/transmission pressure gauge. When deadheading, I was using a fitting that I rigged up that had a 5/8" hose barb on one end and a 1/8"NPT thread on the other. When measuring pressure in-system, I was splicing in a section of thickwall pipe that I'd drilled and tapped for 1/8"NPT.

Definitely an educational experience. Years of reading about cooling system theory online and in magazines like Circle Track had prepared me for seeing "high" pressures, but nothing beats getting down into it and measuring it for yourself.
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Re: Cooling system pressure tested

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

peejay wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:14 pm
Cubic_Cleveland wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:06 pmGood to see it’s sorted! Curious to know what you’re measuring the water pressure with?

Just a MAC brand 0-400psi oil/transmission pressure gauge. When deadheading, I was using a fitting that I rigged up that had a 5/8" hose barb on one end and a 1/8"NPT thread on the other. When measuring pressure in-system, I was splicing in a section of thickwall pipe that I'd drilled and tapped for 1/8"NPT.

Definitely an educational experience. Years of reading about cooling system theory online and in magazines like Circle Track had prepared me for seeing "high" pressures, but nothing beats getting down into it and measuring it for yourself.
Thanks peejay!