BBC output overview - chapter 2

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Re: BBC output overview - chapter 2

Post by Erland Cox »

Why do you cut the quench area so much on the exhaust side?

Erland
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

What are your intake seat angles?
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

rebelrouser wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:54 am Just a dumb question, but since we are talking about different ways to port heads with right or left turns. Does the coriolis effect, have any affect on the flow, and is it different for the guys porting down under where it would make it spin the other way?
No - it is far to small an effect to even measure in something he size of a cylinder bore.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Erland Cox wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:01 pm Why do you cut the quench area so much on the exhaust side?

Erland
Because that design makes more power than when it is not cut away. On a 540 with a 10.5/1 CR it's worth about 18 hp on a nominally 750 HP build.
It also makes the chamber less prone to detonation when using pump gas.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

David Vizard wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:17 pm
Erland Cox wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:01 pm Why do you cut the quench area so much on the exhaust side?

Erland
Because that design makes more power than when it is not cut away. On a 540 with a 10.5/1 CR it's worth about 18 hp on a nominally 750 HP build.
DV
It shows up on the flowbench too.
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

Taking away quench area should loose power.
Is it a low octane pump gas thing to slow down combustion velocity with less quench?
Trying to get slower pressure rise to control detonation?
I have only seen smog head BBC oval port heads look like that and never an N/A race head.

Erland
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

Erland
DV
Just out of curiosity, have you tested this type of head on a 540 with and without that chamber mod and no other modifications?
No flack just a scientific question which I hope I will get a scientific answer for.

Erland
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Erland.....David has already answered your question just barely above your question, :-k Mark H.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Erland
That is on the Swiftune BMC A-Series heads as well.

David, did you have a hand in developing those too?

I've seen it a few times - always thought it was what happened when you design a chamber for the flowbench and not combustion, but if someone has the data and shares it...

On vintage heads I've seen welded up or started with raw castings, they typically look like this SB2.2 chamber
-Bob
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

swampbuggy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:22 pm Erland.....David has already answered your question just barely above your question, :-k Mark H.

No, he only said that the mod gave 18 hp so I wanted to hear more about the 540 test,
The head he is porting looks like it has never been run before the porting started.

Erland
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Now that mini head is weird. And only BBC head we've ever cut back a substantial amount was Brodix solid conventional type on a blown alcohol motor. So, can't answer to Erland's concerns about N/A. But, the modifications I'm talking about are more like the SB2 above. Nothing radical. Just moved back about .200" at the deck. The exhaust valves are so deep in a hole in those things, I think it just helped the flow from that area to hug the chamber and continue toward the valve seat instead of skating across the face of the valve. In the blown application, the engine liked it.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Just looked at the pics again. Ours wasn't as radical as DV's. DV has some 'splainin to do!
But, on ours it was good for 25 CFM at peak lift and the motor thought highly of it.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

He showed me a similar SBC ex quench pad a cpl of years ago.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Erland Cox wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Erland
DV
Just out of curiosity, have you tested this type of head on a 540 with and without that chamber mod and no other modifications?
No flack just a scientific question which I hope I will get a scientific answer for.

Erland
I did some extensive testing on a 572 that GM's involvement meant the expenses were covered.

DV
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

What was the mechanism that gave more power ?