Squirter Fuel Pullover on 4150

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

63qcar
Squirter Fuel Pullover on 4150

Post by 63qcar »

Since it was raining today, fired to car off to check some carb settings and looked inside the carb as I brought the rpm up very slowly so the accelerator pump circuit didn`t come into play ..... trying to see at what rpm the main circuit started to come in. At 2000 rpm , I started seeing some fuel running out of the primary squirter and as rpm came up , flow increased . I understand that there will always be some fuel pullover , but is there a good way to minimize it as that appears to be uncontrolled fuel flow . There are stainless checks under the squirters on primary and secondary. I have some brass ones out of a 950 HP that are a little heavier . Maybe that would help , or am I just chasing my tail on this .
I haven`t tried the anti pullover squirters from Holley yet , just looking for some comments/suggestions .

Thanks
grandsport51
Pro
Pro
Re: Squirter Fuel Pullover on 4150

Post by grandsport51 »

Interesting Topic
Just looked this up pretty relevant!

https://youtu.be/2VOXXRtyG3E
LIGHT 'EM UP
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

Are you using the anti pullover type nozzle or straight brass tube type?
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

grandsport51 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:06 am Interesting Topic
Just looked this up pretty relevant!

https://youtu.be/2VOXXRtyG3E
Hmmm... Maybe some type of thin brass deflector is needed in front of nozzle to break up the air flow around it??
Doesn't seem to do it on the primary.
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

Holley (and other carb manufacturers) have known about pullover for decades. Look at it as an additional tuning tool rather than as an uncontrolled event. The squirters with the brass tubes will have more pullover than the ones with the simple drilled holes. The anti-pullover ones will significantly reduce the pullover fuel. You are already working with check ball (or check pointer) weights...
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
63qcar

Post by 63qcar »

Not using the anti pullover ones yet , but plan on ordering some today .... just the standard drilled ones . I have some brass check valves/plungers that are slightly heavier than the SS ones in the carb now that I plan to try . Have to make sure they`re the same length as I have found some oal differences in the checks over the years .
Does anyone know what`s involved in changing over from the flapper in the accelerator pump to the old style ball check ? Seems that may be worth trying if the "easy" fixes don`t work .
The pullover is causing the most problem between 2000 and 2500 rpm , which is right where the main circuit starts to take over on the street . Trying to eliminate one variable here.
Barry , you brought back something from way back when I was racing Porsches in SCCA . We had to use the Zenith 32 NDIX carbs so we modified them so the accelerator pumps supplied additional fuel at WOT , but that was strictly for the track . Didn`t work at all for the street ..... way rich .
Looks like starting tomorrow afternoon , things will be a washout as the TS/hurricane passes over us , so it may be a few days before I can try stuff on the road , sp , thanks for the ideas .

Also , BTW , this carb has the BLP mini annulars in it.
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

Be safe !!
Michael looks like a big one .
I miss living in Fla. everyday except for hurricanes .
2004 was a tough year 22 days without juice .
Though I did enjoy breakfast from the Grill!!

Dave B.
LIGHT 'EM UP
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

OK ...I looked again and see the primary pulling as well.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

drill out the needle check and fill it with lead. this will add weight.
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

How about a ''tuned'' spring. Something like out of an ink pen. True Valve Hardware stores have assortment of springs. They have to be soft enough so that accelerator pump can push the ball/ needle off its ''seat''.
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

If you don't want to use it to your advantage a small "kill bleed" can be drilled on the jet side of the metering block. I've used .018 in a 4-40 brass set screw on the flat where the two passages intersect. I used to worry about it on the 350 carbed limited engines until I discovered it only added about .5 afr percent at w.o.t.(350 iron head engines) . The flapper valve bowls do seem to be worse but it can be compensated for; I've never modified the later bowls for the check ball,just replaced them with earlier bowls.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

63qcar wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 am Not using the anti pullover ones yet , but plan on ordering some today .... just the standard drilled ones . I have some brass check valves/plungers that are slightly heavier than the SS ones in the carb now that I plan to try . Have to make sure they`re the same length as I have found some oal differences in the checks over the years .
Does anyone know what`s involved in changing over from the flapper in the accelerator pump to the old style ball check ? Seems that may be worth trying if the "easy" fixes don`t work .
The pullover is causing the most problem between 2000 and 2500 rpm , which is right where the main circuit starts to take over on the street . Trying to eliminate one variable here.
Barry , you brought back something from way back when I was racing Porsches in SCCA . We had to use the Zenith 32 NDIX carbs so we modified them so the accelerator pumps supplied additional fuel at WOT , but that was strictly for the track . Didn`t work at all for the street ..... way rich .
Looks like starting tomorrow afternoon , things will be a washout as the TS/hurricane passes over us , so it may be a few days before I can try stuff on the road , sp , thanks for the ideas .

Also , BTW , this carb has the BLP mini annulars in it.

What are your thoughts on the BLP mini Annular boosters? Im getting ready to send my 4224's center squirters down and have them installed..
63qcar

Post by 63qcar »

Ksfats ... the problem with the pullover is that it occurs between 2000 and 2500 rpm and then tails off . It never really squirts out of the nozzles/orifices .it just leaks from the orifices and then runs down the inside of the carb and never really gets atomized from airflow . It just flows down on one side and really screws things up in that rpm range .... which is where I have to be in the pits or around town in traffic sometimes.
Engine is smooth at idle ( 1100 rpm ) until it hits 2000 rpm and then it gets rough and clears up again around 2500 to 2700 rpm .
Thats the area I`m trying to clean up . I`ll weigh the brass checks vs the SS checks on my reloading scales hopefully tonight and see if there is a significant difference in weights . If so , I`ll go with the brass ones as a trial and then try the anti pullover squirters after that .

Casper , I like the annulars .... the engine seems to respond quicker and atomize the fuel better , at least in my application .
JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

Most of the time what you are seeing is resonant pumping from the accelerator pump diaphram vibrating enough to pump fuel through the circuit. This really is bad with a sheet metal tunnel ram. and it will get worse or better with rpm, depending on the shake of the engine. You can throw a washer on top of the orange rubber check valve that will push it closed when the lever is all the way maxed out at WOT, but in our experience its better to have the fuel and tune around it. Its more vibration than air over the squirter!... Kaase
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Jon,
How did you discover this? Make a pull with the pump arms off one time? It makes perfectly good sense to me when you think about it. Kind of micro pumping because of the engine shake. A good example of one problem camouflaging itself as something else. Also as a side note...What did the inside of the intake port feel like on the running engine? I watched that on youtube and was like wow...that's scary but cool. Were you trying to get an idea what the reversion was doing or just because you can?