Maraging steel retainers use

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Wannabe
Pro
Pro

Re: Maraging steel retainers use

Post by Wannabe »

Make sure you remember that Maraging is the material used for input shafts of top fuel cars as well as the hardest hitting pro-mods and alcohol cars. If a top fuel funny-car car isn't hurting an input shaft, a lock is a non issue. Like Warp said, and Warren (WJ) stated about the same thing - "Keep throwing them into the newest engine and cycle them out when you get your first social security check."
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Archimedes previously wrote:Give me a maraging steel lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
Got it.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
The Badger

Post by The Badger »

Got retainers today, they were made by del west and they dont weigh but 12.7 grams on my scale super thin to where it would sit on spring. Any good way to know if these are maraging? 1.230 od .680 id.

If theyvare just thinned down retainers for a cup emgine id be weary of using them.
The Badger

Post by The Badger »

Anyone have any method or test I could do?
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Badger...Is there not ANY markings whatsoever on these retainers ???? Mark H.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

If Rockwell hardness specs can be found (and are different) for maraging vs. tool steel, that would be an easy check. That said, it's unlikely that anyone capable of carrying out a professional lightening job on the latter would bother.
As mentioned, such parts are not normally candidates for fatigue failure. I see no reason to agonize over using them.
Last edited by MadBill on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
The Badger

Post by The Badger »

I looked them over and can not find anything, i will look them over again tomorrow and try to see if i can find markings on any.
The Badger

Post by The Badger »

Madbill after reading what you said i would have to agree with what you said, who would bother to lighten tool steel to this level when theres better stuff.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I just randomly check PAC's site re a couple of their best tool steel retainers and they were just over 13 g.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

According to Del West they don’t make tool steel retainers!
“Spring Retainers
All Del West valve guides are manufactured with the necessary tolerances and high quality level so that they can be installed directly into the cylinder head guide bore without additional work.
We manufacture spring retainers for all types of racing engines in the following materials:
Aerospace quality titanium
7000 Series Aluminum
Aluminum Metal Matrix Composite
Maraging steel- C300
Each material is matched with an appropriate heat treatment and/or surface treatment to maximize the wear resistance and life of the retainer. All Del West retainers undergo 100% quality control for all critical characteristics. Since the fit of a retainer to the appropriate keeper (lock) is critical, we strongly recommend that they be mated to a Del West manufactured keeper.
Please speak with a Del West engineer to understand what is right for your application.
Del West. Precisely.”
Dave B.
LIGHT 'EM UP