Maraging steel retainers use

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

The Badger

Maraging steel retainers use

Post by The Badger »

Hi everyone, got a set of retainers on the way from a friend of mine. Turns out they are maraging steel retainers from a cup engine from what he told me and they run top lock keepers.
Did a little digging (aka typed the keywords into google)
And found out they are lighter than the titanium retainers I've been using lately. I was wondering

1 the fact they are used will there be anything specific for me to check on these?

2. Is this material durable for street, drag racing, etc etc?

The sizes he us sending me would go in at least one strip build I'm doing and possibly another street strip I'm trying to make for hot rod drag week.

Thanks again for any advice.
Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Maraging steel retainers use

Post by Newold1 »

Maybe Warp can enlighten us, if they don't shoot him first!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
The Badger

Post by The Badger »

Hopefully him or someone else can chime in, I didn't know this stuff was around until recently.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Badger, that steel is an exceptionally high grade blend of a few different metals. It is very strong yet malleable enough not to break/crack. I would not hesitate to use them after a close inspection with 10 power magnification. There is MPO. Mark H.
The Badger

Post by The Badger »

I talked to friend today, said he has always thought they were maraging steel, said they weigh under 13 grams each, size is 1.230"x .680. Said he got them from Childress racing. What else other than maraging steel could it be? He said it is a steel and not titanium
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

(Tool Steel) is common for folks who want a retainer stronger and harder than titanium at only a very slight increase in weight. Valve springs or dampers (if) they are used will not cut into tool steel. Mark H.
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

Neat Product
E9B01527-DCB6-4E3C-BF76-433FBD965D30.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LIGHT 'EM UP
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

Forgive me wrong pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LIGHT 'EM UP
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Just to be clear is Maraging steel the same as Tool steel?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

No carbon in the Maraging Steel unlike H-11
F07648FB-6F23-489C-8D76-58E24A5FE9F0.jpeg
LIGHT 'EM UP
GerryP

Post by GerryP »

BOOT wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:42 pm Just to be clear is Maraging steel the same as Tool steel?
No. Maraging steel is what you might call an exotic alloy. You might just take a gander and the price of H11 retainers and compare them to Maraging steel retainers. They do a good job of thinning your wallet. Were you would use it is in an application you needed the weight of Ti but the strength/endurance of H11.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

It would seem to me that in a specialized purpose high budget application, like WC, they would be made just strong enough to achieve the task and life cycle, and little more, thinking they would get tossed after the race on a rebuild. Why does the OP feel confident there is additional life in a used race part without risk? Dropping a valve is a bad thing, right?
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

j-c-c wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:48 pm It would seem to me that in a specialized purpose high budget application, like WC, they would be made just strong enough to achieve the task and life cycle, and little more, thinking they would get tossed after the race on a rebuild. Why does the OP feel confident there is additional life in a used race part without risk? Dropping a valve is a bad thing, right?
The retainers the op is speaking of, will more than likely out live the vehicle! Lol
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Warp Speed wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:07 am
j-c-c wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:48 pm It would seem to me that in a specialized purpose high budget application, like WC, they would be made just strong enough to achieve the task and life cycle, and little more, thinking they would get tossed after the race on a rebuild. Why does the OP feel confident there is additional life in a used race part without risk? Dropping a valve is a bad thing, right?
The retainers the op is speaking of, will more than likely out live the vehicle! Lol
All 16? :shock: :D
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

j-c-c wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am
Warp Speed wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:07 am
All 16? :shock: :D

Yep :wink: