Ford goes pushrod?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: Ford goes pushrod?

Post by cjperformance »

Newold1 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:52 pm This thread subject should be renamed "Ford goes LS" ? ! :lol:
Well the LS is just an alloy block ford FE with tidied up windsor heads but I dont see a problem either way 8)
Craig.
96blackgt54

Post by 96blackgt54 »

Hey,....yall remember when Ford guys badgered the Chevy folk about the LS switching to identical cylinders like a Ford.....with port and valve placement? No more of that weird left or right port placement them Chevy backwards thinkers are.....just sayin!
Rowdy Yates

Post by Rowdy Yates »

? is when block and parts will be available..... Looking for wrecked f350's is a No Go....
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

And Ford copied the the SBC for the Windsor with a few tweaks... blah, blah, blah...

What’s interesting about the new Ford 7.3 is the emphasis on heavy duty construction and parts. Looks as it will be ripe for turbocharging. 7.3 L and lots of boost.. now we’re talking!
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 pm And Ford copied the the SBC for the Windsor with a few tweaks... blah, blah, blah...

What’s interesting about the new Ford 7.3 is the emphasis on heavy duty construction and parts. Looks as it will be ripe for turbocharging. 7.3 L and lots of boost.. now we’re talking!
This is exactly my thought. This is why im interested in external dimensions and weight, would be great for someone to post those here when they know.
Craig.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

cjperformance wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:04 pm
Newold1 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:52 pm This thread subject should be renamed "Ford goes LS" ? ! :lol:
Well the LS is just an alloy block ford FE with tidied up windsor heads but I dont see a problem either way 8)
Hear that. To bad they never had a chassis to put the ford copy in!!Im thinking Ford is wanting to set the record straight with this stove.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Rowdy Yates wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:27 pm ? is when block and parts will be available..... Looking for wrecked f350's is a No Go....
2020 models, I'd guess. Pretty sure I recall reading that in the multiple articles I've read in the past couple of days.

Edit: here's one, for example. It does say 2020 in most of the articles I've seen from the past few days. They're just starting to produce them, AFAIK, so they wouldn't be in anything on the road currently. No point in wasting time looking.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/f ... pecs-info/
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

96blackgt54 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:20 pm Hey,....yall remember when Ford guys badgered the Chevy folk about the LS switching to identical cylinders like a Ford.....with port and valve placement? No more of that weird left or right port placement them Chevy backwards thinkers are.....just sayin!
Why do people make such a big deal about this when it matters absolutely none? People will argue til the day they die about this when it's inconsequential. It makes no difference except to the people who have convinced themselves it's important. Why waste that much time and energy? What does it gain a person?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Rowdy Yates

Post by Rowdy Yates »

Get that....how many F350's do you find at any junkyard? Also 2020 is when the truck will be available not bare blocks, heads, rods & crank. When will this be available is the ?. Engine will be rare just like a Ls7 and a special option means Fewer to find at any junkyard.
96blackgt54

Post by 96blackgt54 »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 pm And Ford copied the the SBC for the Windsor with a few tweaks... blah, blah, blah...

But im sure all the internals will be powdered metal, fragile hyputectic, or some material thats on the brink of destruction but very capable for its intended purpose.
gregsdart

Post by gregsdart »

Ok, jumping in hear late, but consider this. A cam over cam. Pushrod 4 valve v8, with dual valve timing? Olds had a 4v 455 cube pushrod motor on the dyno in testing, in 1965 for the Toronado. It made 100 hp per 1,000 rpm and fried the dyno at 8,000 rpm and 800hp!! If they could build that 54 years ago, you would think something like it today could be built!
1965 dodge Dart, 549 cu in wedge, 8.60 at 156 mph best. 2905 lbs, soon, 8.40s!
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

This new Ford 7.3L will never really be an aftermarket performance engine so those discussing that thought are out of their minds. This engine wont be available in big enough numbers to see it fall into the aftermarket in any economical way like the GM LS.

What is sad here is that in 20 years yep 20 years Ford could not do better than almost a dead copy of a GM LS design!

As many have said already why did they not use this new design in various liter sizes and use their ECO-BOOST technology to gain incredible torque and power with easily equivalent milage or better and still meet stricter emissions laws. Instead Ford has put out a product that is 20 years old when it was released!

How is this represent new technology and innovation, it's not its a backslide! [-X
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Newold1 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 am This new Ford 7.3L will never really be an aftermarket performance engine so those discussing that thought are out of their minds. This engine wont be available in big enough numbers to see it fall into the aftermarket in any economical way like the GM LS.

What is sad here is that in 20 years yep 20 years Ford could not do better than almost a dead copy of a GM LS design!

As many have said already why did they not use this new design in various liter sizes and use their ECO-BOOST technology to gain incredible torque and power with easily equivalent milage or better and still meet stricter emissions laws. Instead Ford has put out a product that is 20 years old when it was released!

How is this represent new technology and innovation, it's not its a backslide! [-X
Many debates on the LS design. Here is a couple of comparisons. Coincidence? I doubt it. http://351c.net/board/index.php?/topic/ ... -nov-2011/
echosixmike

Post by echosixmike »

Current(-11/Tier 4) diesel emissions equipment makes that otherwise reliable technology garbage for an extremely competitive commercial truck market, hence the return to gas engines in the medium duty field. The lower the initial price point, the better they can sell to short time focused and desperate commercial truck business. With California outright banning older trucks and with high demand for reliable older trucks in more practical states, the usual decrepit, castoff jalopies aren't an option for the entry level commercial trucking firms.

The big market here is going to be the independent contractors for Amazon etc. S/F...Ken M
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

echosixmike wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:52 pm Current(-11/Tier 4) diesel emissions equipment makes that otherwise reliable technology garbage for an extremely competitive commercial truck market, hence the return to gas engines in the medium duty field. The lower the initial price point, the better they can sell to short time focused and desperate commercial truck business. With California outright banning older trucks and with high demand for reliable older trucks in more practical states, the usual decrepit, castoff jalopies aren't an option for the entry level commercial trucking firms.

The big market here is going to be the independent contractors for Amazon etc. S/F...Ken M
On that thought couldn't they or wouldn't it be more cost effective to add a small belt driven blower to current 6.2? Or does that add a host of other issues?They could nearly double tq and wouldn't the forced induction help on emissions side?