Ford goes pushrod?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

emsvitil
Pro
Pro
Re: Ford goes pushrod?

Post by emsvitil »

Any chance they would run lean of stoich for better mileage?

What are the emission requirements on HD trucks? (possible NOX problems running lean)
Ed
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Steve.k wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:37 pm Thanks Lem. With them going into vehicles of that size you know they are thinking diesel replacement as most of those heavier trucks pretty much only sell with diesel. They say the they used hardened piston material and ring not normally used in this style engine before.May even see a increase in LNG vehicles.I have heavy equipment and the particulate filter setups in heavy trucks and earthmoving equipment are absolutely useless in our cold climate!
Off topic:

At one of the shops I worked at, we did fleet maintenance for a few different companies and one had LNG trucks. First time I changed the oil in one, which was not that often since we had a guy specifically for that, I had to make sure I had the right truck! Lol. I started to let the oil drain and it still looked almost brand new! Oh crap I got the wrong truck! Stick the drain plug in and check the VIN...again. Nope. It's the right one. I swore I was going to keep the oil and reuse it but I'm not a hoarder so I didn't need it that bad lmao
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

emsvitil wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:11 am Any chance they would run lean of stoich for better mileage?

What are the emission requirements on HD trucks? (possible NOX problems running lean)
Heavily loaded gas engines run at high power loading with little intake vacuum unless going down hill..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:19 am
Off topic:

At one of the shops I worked at, we did fleet maintenance for a few different companies and one had LNG trucks. First time I changed the oil in one, which was not that often since we had a guy specifically for that, I had to make sure I had the right truck! Lol. I started to let the oil drain and it still looked almost brand new! Oh crap I got the wrong truck! Stick the drain plug in and check the VIN...again. Nope. It's the right one. I swore I was going to keep the oil and reuse it but I'm not a hoarder so I didn't need it that bad lmao
I thought we were always told that oil doesn't wear out, just gets dirty. True or no? If true, I might have to find a LNG place to start scavenging oil for stuff. =D>
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

emsvitil wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:11 am Any chance they would run lean of stoich for better mileage?

Zero chance of operating lean. Over 8500 GVWR the emission standards shift to a per-HP-hour basis, but the level of technology required to achieve those standards is the same as for light-duty vehicles. Gasoline engines use stoichiometric operation and 3-way catalyst, diesel engines use DPF + SCR.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

It's a pushrod engine...read about it somewhere else.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019