LOOKING FOR ENGINE BUILDER ADVICE.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cab0154
Pro
Pro
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:09 am
Location: North Texas

Re: LOOKING FOR ENGINE BUILDER ADVICE.

Post by cab0154 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 am

with the 31s i would either put more gear in it, or put a 3 speed in it before i did anything. I would think with what you have under the hood already you should at least be able to run some mid 6s on motor
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

CGT
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: LOOKING FOR ENGINE BUILDER ADVICE.

Post by CGT » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 am

splitdecision71 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:29 pm
Frankshaft wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 pm
MadBill wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 pm
If you already have pistons suitable in every other way, can't you just touch up the reliefs to suit the 60/40 shifts?
You can.
Please explain. Would love to use what I have and spend money else where. Wouldnt shaving on the pistons change the balance of the rotating assembly? Need to have it rebalanced?
Cut the end off of an old valve, turn the end to a point. Bring your piston up, go through the guide of your new heads with the old valve(punch), make some marks at and around tdc. You can do some measuring from your punch mark to see any potential issues with the valve spacing. Those marks will be useful if you do end up needing to fly-cut your pistons.
"How or Y do you think I get all this $hit, I read all of you all builds and desktop dyno them with all the correct info and I've got your build."

splitdecision71
Member
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Re: LOOKING FOR ENGINE BUILDER ADVICE.

Post by splitdecision71 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:16 am

CGT wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 am
splitdecision71 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:29 pm
Frankshaft wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 pm


You can.
Please explain. Would love to use what I have and spend money else where. Wouldnt shaving on the pistons change the balance of the rotating assembly? Need to have it rebalanced?
Cut the end off of an old valve, turn the end to a point. Bring your piston up, go through the guide of your new heads with the old valve(punch), make some marks at and around tdc. You can do some measuring from your punch mark to see any potential issues with the valve spacing. Those marks will be useful if you do end up needing to fly-cut your pistons.
Thank you!

splitdecision71
Member
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Re: LOOKING FOR ENGINE BUILDER ADVICE.

Post by splitdecision71 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:19 am

cab0154 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 am
with the 31s i would either put more gear in it, or put a 3 speed in it before i did anything. I would think with what you have under the hood already you should at least be able to run some mid 6s on motor
4.56s, 5000k stall, and 31 inch tire needs more gear? Im shifting at 7500 now. With weight of car we are calculating around 470hp.
Best et on motor to date was 6.83 @ 100.90 mph.

cab0154
Pro
Pro
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:09 am
Location: North Texas

Re: LOOKING FOR ENGINE BUILDER ADVICE.

Post by cab0154 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:25 pm

to get to what a 4.10 would be with a 3 speed youll be need like a 5.60 in back with the glide. plus that thing has a tall tire. i know it isnt apples to apples, but the last low budget clevor 408 ford we did at 3k lbs on motor went 6.30s@109-111 on motor depending on the night. mid 1.3 60's. had 4.56s, a 28x10.5 and a C4 with a 5800 rpm converter. so the first gear on that thing was 4.56x2.46 = 11.2:1 and it had a 3" shorter tire. it is hard to outrun lack of gear.
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.

splitdecision71
Member
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Re: LOOKING FOR ENGINE BUILDER ADVICE.

Post by splitdecision71 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:45 pm

cab0154 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:25 pm
to get to what a 4.10 would be with a 3 speed youll be need like a 5.60 in back with the glide. plus that thing has a tall tire. i know it isnt apples to apples, but the last low budget clevor 408 ford we did at 3k lbs on motor went 6.30s@109-111 on motor depending on the night. mid 1.3 60's. had 4.56s, a 28x10.5 and a C4 with a 5800 rpm converter. so the first gear on that thing was 4.56x2.46 = 11.2:1 and it had a 3" shorter tire. it is hard to outrun lack of gear.
Makes a lot of sense, Thanks for the input. I will try some 28s on it and see what happens just to experiment a little.

Post Reply