SBC oiling system

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

SBC oiling system

Post by 6.50camaro »

I have a 350 sbc block I am getting ready to build. In a former life it was set up for a dry sump oil system. It has been drilled and tapped 3/8 npt to feed the main oil galley that feeds the cam and mains at the front of the block above the timing cover. The 1/4 pipe tap above the filter pad also has been enlarged to 3/8 pipe . I am going to be using a wet sump system . My question is , is a -8 line sufficient or should I use a -10 line from the filter pad to the front feed. My second question is should I keep the plug in the normal rear feed out of the filter pad thus feeding the mains first or use that plug drilled as a restrictor and feed both ends. Dan
PS . This for a drag motor and normally only run 1/8 mile tracks
pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: SBC oiling system

Post by pamotorman »

I did several blocks with the front feed and just capped that fitting and used the standard on the block location for the oil filter
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Not an expert, don't listen to me.

1. SBCs are not known for crappy oiling systems. Why bother to "front-feed" at all? Seems to me to be a waste of time, money, effort, and enthusiasm. That said, considering that the internal block drillings would ordinarily carry 100% of the oil flow to the front, Dash 8 hose should be completely sufficient since "Dash 0" hose would be no worse than stock.

2. If you're talking about the plug that I think your mean, leaving it out eliminates flow through the filter. The filter gets "wet", but the oil there is stagnant or nearly stagnant. That can't be good.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Schurkey wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:36 am Not an expert, don't listen to me.

1. SBCs are not known for crappy oiling systems. Why bother to "front-feed" at all? Seems to me to be a waste of time, money, effort, and enthusiasm. That said, considering that the internal block drillings would ordinarily carry 100% of the oil flow to the front, Dash 8 hose should be completely sufficient since "Dash 0" hose would be no worse than stock.

2. If you're talking about the plug that I think your mean, leaving it out eliminates flow through the filter. The filter gets "wet", but the oil there is stagnant or nearly stagnant. That can't be good.
That plug on the side of the engine block above the filter pad, (not the "pressed" plug under the rear cap), extends from the CENTER of the filter which IS filtered oil.

That location is normally where a lot of people plumb their accusump.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Schurkey , I was not referring to that press inplug between the oil filter inlet and out let passage in the verical oil passage . I should have made it clearer . The plug I mean is a 1/4" pipe plug that has been installed in the oil filter outlet passage that leads back to that vertical passage . It is right in the oil filter pad.
As for going thru the effort, all the works been done . It's just a matter of me utilizing it. While the sbc oil system is not "crappy" it can be improved. Or why else has the aftermarket wasted the time and effort to improve them with priority main oiling . With the front feed the cam and crank are journals are all fed before both lifter banks . instead of all 3 feeding off the rear cam journal at the same time. Thanks for the input . Dan
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

pamotorman wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:32 am I did several blocks with the front feed and just capped that fitting and used the standard on the block location for the oil filter
What size line did you run to feed the front? Dan