Dirt in radiator from?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

el 56
Dirt in radiator from?

Post by el 56 »

Hello gentleman, I am hoping someone can identify what is in my radiator. Engine was rebuilt recently and a new radiator was installed. I noticed after several miles that my radiator had dirt in it. I drained the cooling system but the antifreeze did not mix with the dirt. I then, flushed the system with prestone flush and water but the dirt did not mix with the flush either. My question is where did this come from and how do I clean out the cooling system. Could this be a blown head gasket? The antifreeze looked perfect coming out and the oil in the crankcase looks fine and not contaminated. they only thing I could find was one spark plug that looks suspicious. appreciate any help and advice. Thank you. Videos below of dirt and spark plug.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRrOlMB ... ZaIww&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgQgrnC ... WVWAfZaIww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Z0Ss6 ... WVWAfZaIww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YqZcEN ... WVWAfZaIww

the oil on the threads of the spark plugs is from when i install the plugs, I drop oil on the threads so the plugs wont seize on the heads.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Dirt in radiator from?

Post by Kevin Johnson »

What is the history of the car and engine?
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
el 56

Post by el 56 »

engine was given to me from a friend that had is laying around for a few years. He pulled it from a junkyard. It's a SBC 400. I had the engine sent out and rebuilt. Dropped the engine into my car. Drove the car a few thousand miles and noticed the dirt in my new radiator that was installed when the rebuilt engine was.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Get a powerful magnet and see if the dirt is ferrous and sticks to the magnet.

All sorts of stories about what can be in old blocks sitting around for years (rodent infestations, etc.). Do you know for a fact that the block and heads were hot tanked when it was rebuilt?
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

What kind of coolant did you use? Dexcool and other organic type coolants use acids to make a protective coating in the engine, if air bubbles are present it will form a brown muck, ask any GM dealer technician. GM lost a class action lawsuit about their coolant right before they went bankrupt. Your video looks like the same muck. I have had some bad experience with water wetter type additives as well. I had them eat out the seals on my electric water pump on the race car.

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I've seen that crap several times... I simply pulled the t-stat unhooked the lower rad hose and flushed it out for about an hour. Don't stop until you know it's clean.

Same with the radiator.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I assume it's coming from the block. There are two drain plugs on the bottom of the SBC block by the oil pan on either side. Pull them out and rinse out the block. They are 1/4 inch NPT plugs, so hopefully you have a four point plug socket.
Joe Facciano
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

How are the hoses? I had an old farm machine that had crap in it from the hoses internally breaking down. It looked like that.

I don't know what's going on with that plug though. Almost looks like a liberal dose of anti-seize on it.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

You can always add a couple drops of Dawn soap into the cooling system. It's always worked great for me when flushing that shit out of GM engines. Its never caused any issues, either. Last one I did looked like someone took a handful of mud and shoved it into the radiator cap opening, it was so bad. Took all afternoon to flush it all out, but it eventually came clean.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Dishwasher detergent and washing machine detergent (note both are machines) are generally low-foam. Foam is typically intended to hide dirt from the human user.

My Father did work on a foaming surfactant intended (initially) for bore drilling for atomic warheads. The foam was very stable and intended to lift tailings out of the bore hole. I don't think foam is needed here.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

looks like the usual rust crud we used to see up to the 80s.
As the man said previously a major flush is in order until it is gone.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
rfast racing

Post by rfast racing »

It could be from stop leak pellets that come in gm crate engines. I've also got them in some reman engines too they are just like the bars leak ones. As far as radiator flush a little clr does a pretty good job on rust in the cooling system
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

They also put stop leak pellets in installed engines at the factory, from what I understand.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

I'm wondering if the block was hot tanked and rinsed. When pressure washing its not unusual to see all sorts of crap flushed out of water jackets.
Also curious if it was in the radiator and heater core when the new engine was installed?
A good flush is called for here.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
huero

Post by huero »

I appreciate all the advice gentlemen. I was really worried it was a blown head gasket. I will look into trying to get all the crude out. Can’t thank u all enough.