45 degree seat width on small valves

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vwchuck
Expert
Expert
45 degree seat width on small valves

Post by vwchuck »

Do any of you guys run narrower than the standard .060, .050 inch 45 degree seat width on small valves? Like in a 4 or 5 valve per cylinder head?
When I do my 5 valve head it hardly has any 30 or 60 degree width.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: 45 degree seat width on small valves

Post by cgarb »

I would go thinner, most multi valve heads have relatively low spring pressure. Not like your going to deform the seat from solid roller spring loads. I would think the worst thing that could happen would be the valve could overheat, that contact area helps pull the heat out of the valve. I can't see .020" less seat width making a super huge difference. Maybe I'm out to lunch, but I repaired a valvejob on a ATV 4 valve head once and it had the factory cut valve seats in the head that have been run and they were around .030" wide. It was run a long time with the valves adjusted tight and the valves we're beat up. I didn't have a pilot small enough to grind the seats so I was able to chuck the valves and regrind the seat angle. I gave them a lap with some clover compund and put it back together. My buddy is still running it today, that was better than 10 years ago.
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

I use 0,050" even on smaller multi valve heads.
I have seen that the valves will not last with narrower seats.

Erland
vwchuck
Expert
Expert

Post by vwchuck »

Erland do you put in a thicker seat so that you can get a good 30 and 60, 75 cut on them to aid in airflow?
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

Seat width is a ratio or a % of the diameter so i'm not sure what the issue is here? If you don't know it i'll dig it out and post it up.
There is no S on the end of RPM.