Pete jackson gear id

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

houser45
Pro
Pro
Pete jackson gear id

Post by houser45 »

A customer has a pete jackson sbc gear drive. Any way to identify if it is a noisy or quiet? It has the number 96 stamped on the cam gear
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Re: Pete jackson gear id

Post by Roundybout »

Good question. Last experience I had with one of those was when I was younger and thought it'd be cool to have that "blower whine". It got old real fast. Especially without the blower power to go with the whine. Almost like flipping the air cleaner lid over for that intake roar lol. I believe the machining tolerances were better on the quiet gears? Apparently google doesn't know either as there's a bunch of conflicting info on how to determine quiet vs regular.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

The single idler gear set up is much quieter then the dual idler gear drive.
If you have the dual idler gear drive it will drive you nuts with the whine.
As mentioned it gets old real fast. [-X [-X

Dave
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

ProPower engines wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:45 pm The single idler gear set up is much quieter then the dual idler gear drive.
If you have the dual idler gear drive it will drive you nuts with the whine.
As mentioned it gets old real fast. [-X [-X

Dave
. No, both a quiet and loud version weremade as a dual idler style. Looking for a way to id
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Why will an improperly set up rear end whine and a proper one run quietly? Same gears?
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

The quiet & noisy version of dual idler gear drives: noisy & more noisy.....
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

off topic, but the loudest gear drive i have ever heard was a single idler. screamed like a siren form the block being line bored.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I would not run a gear drive even if it was free. Just my opinion but I've seen a few ruined engines from gear drive mishaps. One just this year at the track, one of my fellow footbrake racers. Few too many whomps and something got bound up in the gear drive...not pretty.
fatblock

Post by fatblock »

Mine was ink stamped "NOISE" right on the dog bone.
68 camaro 8-71 blown 461 BBC
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Cgarb, one local disaster makes not a trend.
I have used and sold 3 gear drives for decades without issues that could be blamed on the drive itself.
I sold a few of the PJs dual idlers back in the day.
Drag racers seem to have gotten along with it but stock cars would just kill the cross link with all the off and on plus bouncing they go through.
So you may be correct in your diagnosis about the on/offs.
It could have been the era.
Despite everyone producing enginew the best that could be the parts themselves were not as engineered out and good as what we have today.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I'm not a fan of the noise and harmonics either. I'm not saying its no good for nothing...everything has a purpose. There probably has been far more engines lost due to a broken timing chains than from gears... just from the statistics standpoint, way more chains out there in performance engines. The exposed belts make me uneasy thinking about that but the car I'm driving now has a Jesel belt set up and no issues to date. I cant help but to think about that belt getting a stray rock in there and something bad happening...but I tend to automatically go to worst case apocalypse type scenario's in my mind. Just my OCD sometimes.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Hello,
It will be easy for you to identify whether or not your Pete Jackson gear drive is either the normal, or noisy one.
The difference lies in the finish of the gears, and is identifiable by the following.
The normal gear set has a smooth finish on the gears across the face width.
The noisy gear set has a rough finish, and is easily seen as lines parallel with the face width.
I hope this helps you!
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

cgarb wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:01 pm Why will an improperly set up rear end whine and a proper one run quietly? Same gears?
Instead of the gears meshing as designed they are now hitting either the root or tip of the gear abnormally and its inducing a tonal vibration. Almost like a tuning fork. That whine we hear can wreak havoc on bearings, gears and anything else susceptible to that particular frequency for long enough.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

That wasn't an inquiry on my part...it was a question to make people think about why one gear drive would be noisy and one quiet. A very accurate statement though.