FuelTech question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

In-Tech
Vendor

FuelTech question

Post by In-Tech »

https://www.fueltech.net/products/ft500 ... ge-builder

Has anyone here used one of these or any of this companies products? It looks pretty good and am looking for some real world experience.

Thanks
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: FuelTech question

Post by Kevin Johnson »

In-Tech wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:03 pm https://www.fueltech.net/products/ft500 ... ge-builder

Has anyone here used one of these or any of this companies products? It looks pretty good and am looking for some real world experience.

Thanks
They have a long list of customers on Facebook going back three years. You could friend several of them and ask if things are continuing to go well?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/FuelTechUSA/reviews/
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Thanks for the link Kevin. I am not a member of any social media, but, it did let me read a few reviews before it prompted me to sign up.

My biggest question is in regards to day to day use and how it compares to others in the aftermarket as well as GM controllers as far as repeatability. It appears to be very user friendly which is always a plus. Another question would be, if I had an ecu failure(it happens, ie lightning strike boats all the time) will a new ecu run exactly the same with my previous calibration? Stuff like that :wink:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

The most reliable and capable I have found are the FAST XFI.
http://www.fastchip.com/
SS/JA 4156
Cutlassefi

Post by Cutlassefi »

Ed Wright wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:59 pm The most reliable and capable I have found are the FAST XFI.
Maybe years ago but lots of better, faster stuff out there now from what I see.
Engine Builder, Accel, AEM, Comp, Erson, Holley, and Lunati Dealer
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I think the Holley HP efi and Dominator efi ecm systems are about the best out there! JMO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

It can't be too difficult. Big Chief aka Justin Shearer uses it on his 3k? hp, methanol burning Bulter Pontiac. So it's very capable, apparently. There's a few people using their stuff. I'm drawing a blank as far as who, other than Shearer, though.

I believe Dave and Ryan Martin use it on their PLR-built bullets, as well.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

Cutlassefi wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 pm
Ed Wright wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:59 pm The most reliable and capable I have found are the FAST XFI.
I have worked with most systems. I would be interested how you think one system is faster than another? Since 36 (for instance) degrees spark advance is 36 degrees, no matter which system is used. 13-1 A/F is 13-1, no matter which system is used. The new COPO Camaro race cars I have tuned came with the new Holley system. Not crazy about it, more limited than the FAST XFI that I use in my race car. Something I have done for years, and never had a car that did not respond to: More timing in low gear, back it up in second gear, and back it up to what it likes on the dyno in high gear. Long time friend Mike Edwards did the same thing in his Pro Stock car, using a programmable MSD Ignition box, that is illegal in my Supe Stock car. I can do it with the FAST XFI, but not a Holley. Talked to the Holley rep (wanted to try that in one of my friend's COPO. Holley rep says no, he never heard of doing that. Doesn't get out much, I'm guessing.
One system makes more power than another? More like options, and the tuning.
SS/JA 4156
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

Ed Wright wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:14 pm
I have worked with most systems. I would be interested how you think one system is faster than another? Since 36 (for instance) degrees spark advance is 36 degrees, no matter which system is used. 13-1 A/F is 13-1, no matter which system is used. The new COPO Camaro race cars I have tuned came with the new Holley system. Not crazy about it, more limited than the FAST XFI that I use in my race car. Something I have done for years, and never had a car that did not respond to: More timing in low gear, back it up in second gear, and back it up to what it likes on the dyno in high gear. Long time friend Mike Edwards did the same thing in his Pro Stock car, using a programmable MSD Ignition box, that is illegal in my Supe Stock car. I can do it with the FAST XFI, but not a Holley. Talked to the Holley rep (wanted to try that in one of my friend's COPO. Holley rep says no, he never heard of doing that. Doesn't get out much, I'm guessing.
Funny you mention that Bill Jenkins was doing the same thing way back when using a dual point distributor he would disable a set of points in high gear to retard the timing.
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

barnym17 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:31 am
Funny you mention that Bill Jenkins was doing the same thing way back when using a dual point distributor he would disable a set of points in high gear to retard the timing.
I was doing that with my old '56 Chevy Jr Stocker. Three speed stick. Had a toggle switch mounted next to the Hurst shift lever, to turn the second set of points on (that is what retards it) when the shift lever went to second gear. Tripped the toggle switch, turned the second set of points on. Used a dual point 1958 Corvette dual point distributor, with the mechanical tach drive. Had one Sun electronic tach fail during eliminations. Grounded the coil - terminal, shut the car off. Had enough of that Stewart Warner had a mechanical tach. I switched to that.
Had to play with dwell settings on my Sun distributor machine to get 4 degrees retard. Solid 5 hundredths off my ETs. About that it gets me with this 350" LT1 automatic car I run now.
SS/JA 4156
Cutlassefi

Post by Cutlassefi »

I'm not totally enamored with the Holley either.
I was really talking about the AEM Infinity. 400mips processor, add to that when coupled to their X series widebands you can't get any faster response, period.
http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/quick-tes ... band-uego/

Plus their timing control is some of the best and most accurate at this level, and even above. Hope this helps.
Engine Builder, Accel, AEM, Comp, Erson, Holley, and Lunati Dealer