General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

MLS Head Gaskets

Post by ProPower engines »

Hey guys
Does anyone have an MLS head gasket available for a Dodge 273 with a 3.700 bore size .040 compressed thickness
other then a custom cometic

any suggestions welcome
Dave
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: MLS Head Gaskets

Post by pdq67 »

You might contact MLS and ask them? They may not make a, "shelf", one for stocking purposes?

But I am sure for a price, you can get one made from somebody??

Might want to use a copper gasket??

SCE and Copper Gaskets Unlimited??

pdq67
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I have used MLS head gaskets, and had good results, if the block and heads are milled to the proper finish. I have fixed several engines where the proper milling was not done and they leak. I guess I am kind of old school but I like copper head gaskets, especially on old muscle car type engines, I have little trouble with them. Just asking but the builders that like MLS, why do you like them. Just trying to learn.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

I prefer them just because there is so many thickness options. When building spec comp/ ratio engines they allow the builder to get to the spec limit without leaving anything on the table.
Todays machines produce the perfect finish for them and at the cost of HP composition head gaskets it gives the racer an option at the track to lift a head and just spray it and put the engine back together with the worry of not having a custom spare. and get away with it for the feature.
They also allow for the optimal sealing that lasts longer the std. gaskets will in sever situations and don't tend to blow out as easy at the fire ring area because of the overall gasket strength.

Yes they are more costly then a stock type replacement gasket ot HP of same but again thickness options combined with added strength make them a winner every time.

And we have a stocking warehouse I use up here so the money is on par making them cheaper to get here then the US
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

rebelrouser wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:00 am I have used MLS head gaskets, and had good results, if the block and heads are milled to the proper finish. I have fixed several engines where the proper milling was not done and they leak. I guess I am kind of old school but I like copper head gaskets, especially on old muscle car type engines, I have little trouble with them. Just asking but the builders that like MLS, why do you like them. Just trying to learn.
If your using copper on old school muscle car engine your living in the past...absolutely no reason to do that.

I've used mls in 15:1 engine without issue and reused them more than once. With that and all the thickness options and no O ringing required..why not?

The finish does not have to be as critical as what's talked about. Used them on factory uncut blocks with no problems...they are very forgiving
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

pdq67 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:49 am You might contact MLS and ask them? They may not make a, "shelf", one for stocking purposes?
pdq67
AFAIK MLS stands for multi layer steel, it isn't a business.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

X2
MLS is the type of gasket design not a brand name or manufacture.
I did talk with cometic and they can make a pair of the correct bore size gaskets.
Cost is only about $65/each 4 day lead time to make them so that's the way to go for this project.
That way I will get the best of both worlds as the original MOPAR gaskets are not available any more or have been for over 30 years so the only other gasket has a 4.160 gasket bore which is not acceptable compared to the 3.670 bore size needed to be correct.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

4vpc wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:29 pm
pdq67 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:49 am You might contact MLS and ask them? They may not make a, "shelf", one for stocking purposes?
pdq67
AFAIK MLS stands for multi layer steel, it isn't a business.
Right, sorry, I meant contact who makes them and ask them..

My bad.

pdq67
valiantracing

Post by valiantracing »

This is who i got my from http://www.4secondsflat.com/ for my 273, they will do any bore size or and thickness
Morgo

Post by Morgo »

"when uncomptent order unwilling to do unnecsessary the probablity of failure is high"