351 Cleveland - what's it worth?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Blown & Injected
351 Cleveland - what's it worth?

Post by Blown & Injected »

Any value to this thing?
It is a 1972 2 barrel, 2 bolt main. Just the block, main caps, and complete heads...forgot to ask about the crank but assume no crank.
Thanks.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: 351 Cleveland - what's it worth?

Post by SupStk »

If its a never bored block that can pass a sonic test maybe $100. The heads might bring it up to $125. The 4V heads and intake are what's of the most value on Cleveland's.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Ship it to the north east,been looking for one for a few weeks. Customer found 3 and two were subject to over bores and left to die in a field.
First one froze and broke a cylinder or three. Second one was a m motor,fords useless hymorphodite.
The third is being magnafux as we speak,results will dictate corse of action.
I did manage to salvage a nice standard crank though.Newyork has never really been ford country.
South east you are more likely too see ford stuff in my opinion.
I may be interested if this one turns out to be another victim of a winters freeze.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

A complete motor here at least 500 bucks. A block apart standard and clean About same knowing its clean and usable.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Dutchman wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 am Second one was a m motor,fords useless hymorphodite..
The M is only useless to those that don't know what it is.
A Cleveland is a Cleveland, taller deck height doesn't somehow make the engine platform useless.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

IMG_2279.JPG
. Here is my M hermororphidite. Lol. Old school one !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:21 am
Dutchman wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 am Second one was a m motor,fords useless hymorphodite..
A Cleveland is a Cleveland, taller deck height doesn't somehow make the engine platform useless.
What would make then useless in some people's opinions? Why would they be considered any worse than another 335 series engine?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

The M never had a chance, basically a smog era mule. Never any HP model, always a low compression 2BBL engine.

They respond to upgrades like any other engine, the problem is there aren't many performance parts available. :mrgreen:

The Edelbrock C heads on a 400 M is a great upgrade.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Even the smog head it came with flow decent when compared to their competitors. Get pistons to zero deck and cam headers intake and look out.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

With the average deck on a 400 being around .090" zero deck is a long ways away. :mrgreen:
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Piston guys don't care where they drill the pin hole... :mrgreen:
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

ive offset stock rod with bushing and use the plentiful cleveland pistons a few times.
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:21 am
Maybe I should have explained the build,a street rod for a local old timer with a limited income.
Custom pistons are not in the budget,and telling him his newly rebuilt transmission will not bolt up to the engine he just found would put the project in the ill get to it someday status.
His intake is another no go without spacers,a Cleveland is what he had and the most economic in his situation.
Nice job Steve, I never said you couldn't make power with them,or anything else for that matter.
There are some real sharp people on this board,I am sure if anyone would apply themselves results can be found. Kasse with his Mel is proof.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Yes we know what your getting at. Its the unsung hero of the Ford family no doubt. Out of box it was for most part a boat anchor. The engine masters series really brought it to fore front!!