Effect on flow milling like early BBF Heads?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Effect on flow milling like early BBF Heads?

Post by NXBOY »

Heard it hurts and heard it helps. Maybe some unshrouding, but also less use full pressure around the valve?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Effect on flow milling like early BBF Heads?

Post by mag2555 »

Which heads are we taking about here, heads for the FE series motors, or the later canted valve heads?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

I did a set of big valve 429 head a few yrs ago and milled them .080 where the seat was on the edge by the deck in front. Got around 350 cfm at .750 I beleive. Buddies flow bench was showing low then on some Bigblock heads over 350 cfm. Motor had a flattop and wanted all the compression possible. Was over 13 to one, always wondered if I hurt flow much having valve stick out of chamber some.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Well if the heads where not flow tested ( in specific the low lift range ) after the mill job with no before and after dyno test taking place there is simply no way to tell!

Common changes from unshrouding by means of milling are increased upper mid and high lift intake flow with a reduction in ant swirl( that might have been present ) due to a change in flow pattern which could cut into combustion efficiency with the end result being not attaining all the power gain from the increased compression and flow that you should have had.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I would think that an early BBF head would be off an FE engine?? And probably, most certainly NOT a MEL head..

pdq67