General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

lance flake
Pro
Pro

Re: Broke connecting rod?

Post by lance flake »

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

needforspeed66gt wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:09 pm Is that a Callies Ultra rod?
Yes it is. I don’t think the rod failed on its own. My honest opinion is the ignition system will not fire this engine properly and a hydraulic situation took place.
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

Upon further inspection I don’t think anything foreign hit the piston. Looks like the piston spun around after rod broke and hit chamber and valve. Actually there is a screened gasket under the hat
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

lance flake wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:17 pm
needforspeed66gt wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:09 pm Is that a Callies Ultra rod?
Yes it is. I don’t think the rod failed on its own. My honest opinion is the ignition system will not fire this engine properly and a hydraulic situation took place.
But with no spark, the fuel/air charge is discharged via the following exhaust stroke; no possibility of fuel accumulation. also the fuel content per cycle by volume is tiny.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Biteme
Pro
Pro

Post by Biteme »

1st thing I’d do is check the balance of the torque converter if it’s the same one hes used all along.
bigmike

Post by bigmike »

Look like it is to hard. It would be interesting to do a rockwell hardness check of that connecting rod in a few spots. That rod shattered like a high speed end mill cutting tool when something goes wrong..
Last edited by bigmike on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

lance flake wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:12 pm image.jpeg
Imho, the rod looks like it broke like a hyper piston!! Turned into gravel....

It's not an out of spec powder rod, is it??

Just asking because I flat don't know what happened to it...

pdq67
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I am not thinking it was a hydraulic situation based on some broken rods I have seen over the years. Usually in a hydraulic cylinder situation there is some bending movement laterally or horizontally in the rod beam and there is usually some bearing compression marking. That rod broke and pretty much stayed in a straight vertical shape other than the tearing and beating it took during and after seperation.

Put the pin on a piece of glass or a super flat surface and roll it to look for a bend. If the cylinder hydrauliced the PIN WILL BE BENT!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

pdq67 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 pm
Imho, the rod looks like it broke like a hyper piston!! Turned into gravel....

It's not an out of spec powder rod, is it??

Just asking because I flat don't know what happened to it...

pdq67
The rod ground up/busted into pieces due to hitting block, cam, ect. It was not a powdered rod.
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

Lets try to go through what happened. The rod broke first near the pin end. That left enough rod length still attached to the crank to flail around and beat the block, cam, oil pan until it broke and was reduced to many pieces that you have a pic of. Both breaks look somewhat clean, not much twisting or bending on the big end or small end. The small end has some twist/bend at the presumably first break. The piston gets bounced around in the cylinder by the initial break and the crank counterweights knock it up and down in the cylinder several times until the inertia decreases enough it stays up in the cylinder. Question is what caused the rod to break in the first place?

Do any of the other pistons show any signs of the bottom of the pin bosses hitting the counterweights? I agree that the pin will have a good chance of being bent if it was a hydraulic situation. I would disassemble all the other pistons/ rod assemblies and look for bent rods, bent pins, tight pins, pinched ring lands or anything else that might be a compressive symptom.

Then again, it may have just broke, an flaw that got by manfacturing. However with the track record that you described it is hard to say that it was just a bad rod.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

In the first pic what type rod is that and how do you torque it down if the bolts head or facing the beam.It looks kind of weird bolting in from the beam side.https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/download/fil ... &mode=view
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

lance flake wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:12 pm

Take high resolution pictures of the area of the fracture where the bluing is seen on the upper beam section. Heat is generated when a fracture flexes.

rod failure.gif
Last edited by Kevin Johnson on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

Old School wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:25 am Lets try to go through what happened. The rod broke first near the pin end. That left enough rod length still attached to the crank to flail around and beat the block, cam, oil pan until it broke and was reduced to many pieces that you have a pic of. Both breaks look somewhat clean, not much twisting or bending on the big end or small end. The small end has some twist/bend at the presumably first break. The piston gets bounced around in the cylinder by the initial break and the crank counterweights knock it up and down in the cylinder several times until the inertia decreases enough it stays up in the cylinder. Question is what caused the rod to break in the first place?

Do any of the other pistons show any signs of the bottom of the pin bosses hitting the counterweights? I agree that the pin will have a good chance of being bent if it was a hydraulic situation. I would disassemble all the other pistons/ rod assemblies and look for bent rods, bent pins, tight pins, pinched ring lands or anything else that might be a compressive symptom.

Then again, it may have just broke, an flaw that got by manfacturing. However with the track record that you described it is hard to say that it was just a bad rod.
I will get the rest of it apart for further inspection. Just looking at all the other rods in the block none look bent and an none are tight. They still move side to side like new.
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

1972ho wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:05 am In the first pic what type rod is that and how do you torque it down if the bolts head or facing the beam.It looks kind of weird bolting in from the beam side.https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/download/fil ... &mode=view
That is just the rod rolled up so i could get a pic of the break
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:31 am

Take high resolution pictures of the area of the fracture where the bluing is seen on the upper beam section. Heat is generated when a fracture flexes.
Will do i think the blueing is from the bottom piece swinging around and hitting the upper piece after failure