carbon build up and flow numbers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
carbon build up and flow numbers

Post by rebelrouser »

I want to ask what you guys think about carbon build up in cylinder heads and its effect on air flow. I know I do a lot of work on engines that people run for several seasons, and I wash the heads just enough to get the oil off and flow them with the carbon still in runners and chambers. I always see an improvement after they are cleaned before doing any valve work or further porting. Do any of you guys use a carbon cleaning product in your race engines? Motorvac and BG products both make a good cleaning system I have used on stock engines. A lot of the newer engines especially those direct injected engines have a lot of carbon issues.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Re: carbon build up and flow numbers

Post by David Redszus »

rebelrouser wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:54 pm I want to ask what you guys think about carbon build up in cylinder heads and its effect on air flow. I know I do a lot of work on engines that people run for several seasons, and I wash the heads just enough to get the oil off and flow them with the carbon still in runners and chambers. I always see an improvement after they are cleaned before doing any valve work or further porting. Do any of you guys use a carbon cleaning product in your race engines? Motorvac and BG products both make a good cleaning system I have used on stock engines. A lot of the newer engines especially those direct injected engines have a lot of carbon issues.
Just to add more crap to your bucket.

Consider the effects of hot carbon deposits in a running engine on air flow. The local heat changes the local air density and viscosity,
and therefore the air mass flow.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

On the Exh side of the motor carbon scale and rust scale can add up to a reduction in flow real fast!
Take a look at this.
Here's the difference in flow from a Exh port that's only some 3.5 inches long.
All I did was use a 80 grit sanding roll to remove the carbon and rust, note in the pictures that I did not add polish anywhere.

If this much of a flow gain comes from just a port 3.5 inches long then think about what can take place in the tubes of a used header!

Flow @ 28"
.050--.100---.200---.300---400---.450---.500---.550---.600---.650
22.4---43.8--89.9---120.2--149.5-156.4--162.3-166.6--167.2
With clean up
22.5--44.2--91.5---128.4--153.5--161.3-167.2-174--177------180
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

David Redszus wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:40 am
rebelrouser wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:54 pm I want to ask what you guys think about carbon build up in cylinder heads and its effect on air flow. I know I do a lot of work on engines that people run for several seasons, and I wash the heads just enough to get the oil off and flow them with the carbon still in runners and chambers. I always see an improvement after they are cleaned before doing any valve work or further porting. Do any of you guys use a carbon cleaning product in your race engines? Motorvac and BG products both make a good cleaning system I have used on stock engines. A lot of the newer engines especially those direct injected engines have a lot of carbon issues.
Just to add more crap to your bucket.

Consider the effects of hot carbon deposits in a running engine on air flow. The local heat changes the local air density and viscosity,
and therefore the air mass flow.
Does it increase or decrease temp? It seems it would insulate the runner from heat and the texture would help fuel atomization therefore cooling the intake charge.

I think you would have to do a before and after dyno test to find out it's effects.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Many years ago Smokey related a story about one of his engines mysteriously losing 20 HP during an all-nighter session. They finally realized that somewhere along the way they'd switched headers to a pair that was identical in every way, except for heavy rust deposits in all the tubes of the second set... #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

MadBill wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 pm Many years ago Smokey related a story about one of his engines mysteriously losing 20 HP during an all-nighter session. They finally realized that somewhere along the way they'd switched headers to a pair that was identical in every way, except for heavy rust deposits in all the tubes of the second set... #-o
When Lingenfelter was interviewed about his Pro Stock truck development he said that they polished and coated the inside of the primary tube on the step header. I don't remember is exact statement but it was measurable enough to do it.

Intake side may be a different story.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If you ask me the Intake side reacts like my Exh side test does here, and Exh wise it's likely even far worse as a flow bench can not produce air at near sonic speed!
And yes I know the Intake ports do need texture for wet flow fuel issues.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!