General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Re: Main girdles

Post by Steve.k »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:23 pm
Steve.k wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:51 am Whats your theory on main girdles guys? They work or not? Some say they even dampen harmonic frequency from internal components. Whats your thoughts?
You can look up various patents and see they were often justified for NVH reduction.

United States Patent 4,497,292
Hayashi , et al. February 5, 1985
Bearing beam structure

Abstract
A bearing beam structure is secured to a cylinder block of an internal combustion engine and includes a plurality of main bearing cap sections each of which associates with each bearing section of the cylinder block so as to rotatably support a crankshaft. At least a beam section is rigidly connected to the lower end portion of each bearing cap section to securely connect all the bearing cap sections with each other. Additionally, first and second side wall sections are rigidly connected to the opposite side portions of each bearing cap section to securely connect all the bearing cap sections with each other. Accordingly, the bearing beam structure is improved in rigidity to suppress various vibrations of the cylinder block, thereby effectively achieving total engine noise reduction.

Inventors: Hayashi; Yoshimasa (Kamakura, JP), Ogawa; Naoki (Yokohama, JP)
Assignee: Nissan Motor Company, Limited (Yokohama, JP)
Family ID: 15784620
Appl. No.: 06/433,886
Filed: October 13, 1982
Ahhh yes so it is certain frequency we are capturing as part of the girdle. Makes sense. It would make sense the same harmonics are in the valvle train or more so. The rocker girdle will still move but to a lesser degree. So thats a big help with valve gear. All interesting for sure.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

How do you reinforce a SBC's valley to keep it from splitting like an egg right through the cam tunnel and down through the mains??

The main's area seems to be fairly well covered.

I have always proposed making a main girdle/support that would overhang the oil pan rails and then cross-plate the tops of both banks over the top of the valley and then overhang the plate on both sides and then tie the bottom overhang together with the top overhang on both sides with long, STRONG, tie-bolts.

Probably would need to deck the block the thickness of the cross-plate and then sleeve all cylinders unless you want to make the block decks taller for increased stroke/longer rods?

Sucker should be able to contain a grenade, imho...

Comments please..

pdq67
Last edited by pdq67 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Through-bolt the head bolts down into the main caps?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I was thinking about tying the two cylinder banks together across the top of the valley with plate and then tie this plate to the main girdle plate using long tie bolts on the outside of each side of the block.

pdq67
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Maybe it's just me but I think you guys are overthinking this issue and underspending the right way to do a Ford Cleveland block. :roll:

Purchase a nice set of ProGram 4 bolt billet main caps and appropriate ARP stud kit. The 2 bolt Cleveland blocks have the bosses in them for drilling and tapping for the 4 bolt caps

A good machine shop will fit the caps, drill and tap the block and align bore the mainline and now you have a Cleveland 4 bolt block where main cap and bolt or walking caps will not ever be an issue. JMHO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

cardo0 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:46 pm A co-worker bought a girdle for his V6 GN that replaced the main caps as a one piece frame work with intergral main caps. Man talk 'bout strong looking. Wish they sold something like that for the sbc. But it does have to be alignhoned/alignbored to use.
Moves the weak block area to the lifter valley and cylinder bores.
Somebody made one for a SBC. It was years ago that I saw it. I don't remember who it was that made it.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

IMG_2997.PNG
Heres one of a 2000+ hp cleveland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

IMG_2998.PNG
heres what happened after. Lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
strokersix
Pro
Pro

Post by strokersix »

Seems to me that differential thermal expansion between added aluminum girdle and iron block should be considered. Differential expansion could create very high stresses depending on the geometry details. Looks stout but could be creating unintended consequence.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:11 pm
Frankshaft wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:25 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:21 am Some main girdles work but, most don't when simply tying the fasteners together just hovering over the main caps.
Though, they do hold everything together when the block breaks so, you don't drive over the pieces.

Valve train "STUD" girdles actually do what they are intended to do, keeping the studs from flexing.
How do you know? Do you have video footage from inside the valve covers? Not being a smartass, just wondering, otherwise, how would you know?
Not being a smart ass ... YES ... I have video and many Optron and Spintron results of a stud valve train, (from under the valve cover), with and without a girdle.

Some of us actually know something what we're saying.
[-X [-X [-X
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

strokersix wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:53 am Seems to me that differential thermal expansion between added aluminum girdle and iron block should be considered. Differential expansion could create very high stresses depending on the geometry details. Looks stout but could be creating unintended consequence.
Beleive this was a blower motor so alot of stress on crank. Mid 2000 hp if memory is correct
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Since many OEMs spend the money to design, test and supply halo girdles, there must be some benefit. However, some of the engines on which we see them have narrow mains with very deep main caps. Seems they might be there for front-to-back rigidity, but how does a main cap move that way?

Anyway, thoughts on halo girdles? Here's an aftermarket Ford.

Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

It seems to me while adding strength they curb some harmonics. I know guys that swear by them and if u have good luck with certain combos you do not switch. Im betting there is damaging harmonics we cannot detect with only high strength testing equipment.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Steve.k wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:49 pm It seems to me while adding strength they curb some harmonics. I know guys that swear by them and if u have good luck with certain combos you do not switch. Im betting there is damaging harmonics we cannot detect with only high strength testing equipment.
DV detailed testing this by extending the main studs through an oil pan, so they could measure how much everything was deflecting while under load on a dyno.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

And?