Spec Miata Valve Job

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

HDBD
Expert
Expert

Spec Miata Valve Job

Post by HDBD »

Can somebody give some information on what was a very effective valve job, intake and exhaust on these heads?
Thanks
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Re: Spec Miata Valve Job

Post by Frankshaft »

Never worked on those, suprised, a head I haven't worked on. But, if I had one come in, I would likely do a 35-45-60, and if I could fit it, a 75 under that. On the exhaust, I would likely do a 35-45, 12 degree radius. I wouldn't try and get cute with it. I know the above works well on a lot of 16 valve heads.
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

When u speak of spec Miata I assume u are talking SCCA. Unless the rules have changed the valve job has to be like
The factory manual states and that is a 45' seat with a flat top cut and a bottom cut of a angle I have forgotten.
Maybe a 70' bottom cut.
When I was doing them I used a single angle 38' seat, topped with a 90' and a 70' bottom to narrow the 38' seat.
I refaced the valves to a 38' angle.
If I rember right the flow bench showed 1.5/2.5 CFM increase per valve.
Exhaust was a factory 45' seat narrowed as per factory spec.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I expect it would be important to know what head does the maita has? And is that the right choice?
The early head IMO it appears the intakes could be unshrouded further, but the factory valve job is pretty darn good.
The later head, much smaller ports, should make just as much hp and more torque.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

As posted those valve seat profiles are very well sicenced out!
I would bet that within the rules you may be subject to that just adding a back cut to the Intake and Exh valve will tack on more overall flow then reworking the seats!
Also keep in mind that adding more of a radiused way around the Intake seat / valve by means of more angles does nothing to help any balled up or stream like wet fuel issues , and can even make them!
The Intake side wants sharp defined angles !
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Seems that spec miata valve jobs are pretty set in stone. They go over everything that is or isn't allowed. Plunge cuts, etc... This article goes over quite a bit. It doesn't give a defined list of specs but when you read it all, they go over a lot of it. Things like
there must be a sharp edge where the valve relief cut meets the chamber. That edge must be present and unmodified

https://nasaspeed.news/tech/engine/flow ... nder-heads

link to rules/specs
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Post by SMITHBERGRACING »

They busted a ton of people cheating a few years ago. They want OEM specific parts used and there is a specific cutter number to be used. I don't have the current info but I'd get in contact with the racing organization.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

By far and in general the biggest Exh flow gain where it really counts ( at low lift!) can be had by back cutting the valve itself if it's not already of a pretty good tulip shape , but not too tall in that regard!
In short some flow bench time is needed!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

mag2555 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:33 pm By far and in general the biggest Exh flow gain where it really counts ( at low lift!)
You need to get a new sorce of information.

Randy
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

jed wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:57 am When u speak of spec Miata I assume u are talking SCCA. Unless the rules have changed the valve job has to be like
The factory manual states and that is a 45' seat with a flat top cut and a bottom cut of a angle I have forgotten.
Maybe a 70' bottom cut.
When I was doing them I used a single angle 38' seat, topped with a 90' and a 70' bottom to narrow the 38' seat.
I refaced the valves to a 38' angle.
If I rember right the flow bench showed 1.5/2.5 CFM increase per valve.
Exhaust was a factory 45' seat narrowed as per factory spec.
Spec Miata rules for SCCA competition are very explicit and limiting.

Valve seat angles permitted are: 30 - 45 - 70 degrees.
The valves themselves cannot be machined in any way.

Recently completed several Miata SCCA engines and think their many rules are often insignificant
and unrelated to actual performance. Yet they will, with great delight, DQ any competitor who mis-steps even
slightly or in error.
iadr
Expert
Expert

Post by iadr »

randy331 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:34 am
mag2555 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:33 pm By far and in general the biggest Exh flow gain where it really counts ( at low lift!)
You need to get a new sorce of information.

Randy
Stock cams.

That would make your implication(s) erroneous. ;)
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

SMITHBERGRACING wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:41 am They busted a ton of people cheating a few years ago. They want OEM specific parts used and there is a specific cutter number to be used. I don't have the current info but I'd get in contact with the racing organization.
Am I on Global Ignore or something? The specs are directly above your post. All 16 pages. Or do you guys just automatically ignore my posts because you believe I, have nothing to add?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

So hypothetically if valve job was the only allowable change on these heads how would you change the angles and perhaps add radius? Valve back or front cuts?
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

How about you tell us what year miata engine you have already.