cordless impact wrenches & drivers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ijames
Expert
Expert

Re: cordless impact wrenches & drivers

Post by ijames »

psychomotors wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:53 am Anyone try a Harbor Freight? Seriously
I haven't tried any of their new stuff but 10-12 years ago I got their 3/8 and 1/2" 18 volt impacts. They run ok, have decent torque, give off an "ozone-y" smell when running which makes me think the brushes are wearing pretty fast, and on both of them the head is a bit undersize so sockets readily fall off the gun. At the time a SnapOn 1/2" gun was well over $500 and these were $100 so I didn 't feel totally taken advantage of buying them :roll: . Oh, they have dumb chargers where you have to take the battery off after 3-4 hours or it will keep overcharging it. I'm sure their new stuff is better
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

psychomotors wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:53 am Anyone try a Harbor Freight? Seriously
I've seen the ads, prices are close to Milwaukee or Dewalt, so why would you?

Milwaukee has a Good five Year warranty, I've turned in a very heavily used four year old Milwaukee drill for warranty and received a Brand New drill! Try that with Harbor Freight or Snap On..
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
mitch
Expert
Expert

Post by mitch »

Keith Morganstein wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:45 am
I've seen the ads, prices are close to Milwaukee or Dewalt, so why would you?

Milwaukee has a Good five Year warranty, I've turned in a very heavily used four year old Milwaukee drill for warranty and received a Brand New drill! Try that with Harbor Freight or Snap On..
Yes you can get the Milwaukee for a few more dollars also I looked at one of there ratchets and it did not compare to the milwaukee . You can find some nice combo deals on ebay
Mitch
stokerboats
Pro
Pro

Post by stokerboats »

Milwaukee 18v Fuel 1/2" drive
Just tore down an engine using this and was pleasantly surprised how much easier it made the tear down.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

stokerboats wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:36 pm Milwaukee 18v Fuel 1/2" drive
Just tore down an engine using this and was pleasantly surprised how much easier it made the tear down.
Same here. Think they have a few variations but I bought the higher priced brushless model. Rarely ever use air anymore since these things tear through lug nuts. The bigger 4 and 5 amp batteries are pricy but last a long time and surprisingly charge fairly quickly too.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

I was running a lot of screws doing a pole building. Wanted something little better than my Dewalt drill. Intended on buying a 1/4" impact from Harbor freight. Looked at the Bauer and Hercules which both came with one battery and charger. They are brush type motors and didn't seem to run smooth or quiet as the Dewalt.
Ended up buying the XRT Dewalt with 2 batteries and charger for about the same money ($160) if I got the HF one with an extra battery.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I have a Horrible Freight 1/2 cordless impact...it will loosen two lugnuts between charges.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

Rick360 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:41 pm I have the Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact driver (brushless) with the red lithium battery. I use it for lots of heavy duty stuff even though its only the normal hex drive I have adapters to all sizes of sockets. Batteries last an unbelievable amount of use. Great warranty too.

The Milwaukee FUEL are the meanest drivers around, I don't have their impact cause I use air when I need that much torque, but I bet they are just as good.

Rick
X2.

I bought a 2 sets of the drivers and impact for the shop at work- if those yahoos can't tear them up they are really tough, so I bought another set for home.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

Thanks guys. That's why I was curious,lol.
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

At my buddy's shop,all we use is the Milwaukee Fuel line of cordless tools.
The big 1/2 inch impact sure is handy at tire change season.
The air tools rarely get used anymore.
For my money,these are the best.
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.